Eagles. They’re every­where. Lurking in corners, peering out at you from book­shelves, looming over you while you head to dinner. Hillsdale’s mascot may be the Charger, but her decor is decidedly eagle-themed, cre­ating an odd conundrum that has stumped curious freshmen, observant vis­itors, and highly-skilled pro­cras­ti­nators for years.

Hillsdale is home to dozens of eagles, with a total of 27 cur­rently on display. Brian Becks donated his eagle col­lection to the College in the early 1990s along with many of the first-edition books in the Her­itage Room, Library Director Dan Knoch said.

“Brian Becks was the main person respon­sible for the eagles,” Knoch said. “Along with the eagles came many of the books in the Her­itage Room that he had col­lected over the years. He col­lected rare, valuable works, along with eagles, and he wanted to donate the eagles.”

Many more eagles flocked campus in the early 1990s, Pro­fessor of English Ben Whalen said. But Moss Hall staff said that some have been moved to storage over the years, leaving only 27 on display.

Below is a com­plete list of eagles on campus:

1.The eagle on the alumni walk, known to campus as simply “the eagle.”

Emily Blatter Col­legian

2. The very realistic eagle in the Heritage Room, which is actually made out of turkey feathers, Knoch said. No endangered wildlife was harmed.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

3. The golden eagle in the Heritage Room entrance, glaring at everyone coming and going. Silence, you peasant.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

4. The free-standing eagle near the center of the Heritage Room.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

5. This painted porcelain eagle, kept in a glass case in the Heritage Room.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

6. — 7.  These two friends, also porcelain and also in a glass case in the Heritage Room.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

8. This majestic bronze eagle bust sits on a Heritage Room shelf.

Evan Carter Col­legian

9. — 10. These bronze eagles have some impressive pectoral muscles. A small but conclusive bit of research indicates these are very heavy.

Emily Blatter Col­legian
Emily Blatter Col­legian

11. The eagle sitting on the table in the Heritage Room. Majestically reminding you to keep your books on your own side.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

12. — 13.These two white porcelain eagles stand guard over their shelf in the corner. Ye be warned.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

14. This one in the window of the Heritage Room, turned away from the eyes of passersby checking themselves out in the glass. Awkward eye contact avoided.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

15. This eagle does not fear awkward eye contact.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

16. This wooden eagle stands watch over the Heritage Room exit. It resembles a German woodcut.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

17. Another eagle outside the Heritage Room, which looks even more like a woodcut.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

18. The presidential seal, on the sideboard next to the Heritage Room. Also an eagle.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

19. The clock in the Heritage Room has an eagle on it.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

20. So does the clock in the foyer of Central Hall.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

21. — 22. The financial aid office has a painting of eagles on the wall.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

23. This eagle lives in the president’s office, on Dr. Arnn’s secretary’s desk. He is the only eagle on the fourth floor of Moss Hall. (Provost Dr. Whalen across the hall does not have one. Hm.)

Emily Blatter Col­legian

24. This eagle head. The college commissioned 20 of these as gifts for donors, but were unable to deliver some because sculptures are heavy and hard to ship, Moss Hall staff said. This one lurks on a table in the corner of a Moss Hall office.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

25. This eagle is in that same office, soaring majestically over the clutter on the counter.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

26. This eagle sits outside the Dow hotel, and is commonly known as the Eagle at Rest, Knoch said. The plaque below it indicates it was donated in 1992.

Emily Blatter Col­legian

27. This eagle perches inside the sports complex.

Emily Blatter Col­legian
  • verum peto

Even the Collegian’s name has an eagle flying across it. 🙂