Members of the Hillsdale College swim team traveled to Florida over break to train. (Photo: Peyton Bowen / Courtesy)

The Hillsdale swim team split a tri-meet against Case Western Reserve and Ohio Northern Uni­versity on Sat­urday, Jan. 21. Case Western Reserve used their home advantage and beat the Chargers 150 – 141. The Chargers were valiant against ONU, however, soundly ringing in victory with a final score of 201 – 83.  

Sophomore Suzanne DeTar swam an excellent meet, coming in first for the 100-yard back­stroke and 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle races.  

“I was extremely happy with my per­for­mance in last weekend’s meet,” DeTar said. “Although these weren’t my best times in those events, they set me up nicely for our taper starting later this week.” 

Senior Emily Shallman claimed two first-place spots in the 1000-yard free and 200-yard IM races. Sophomore Anika Ellingson also swam two first places in her strongest races, the 100-yard and 200-yard breas­troke. Sophomore Grace Houghton won first in the 200-yard fly race, and freshman Danielle LeBleu won the 200-yard freestyle. Sophomore Tiffany Farris also won a 200-yard back­stroke.  

“I’m right where I want to be at this part in the season. I was able to get first place in the 200 back, and I’m really proud of my 200 medley relay for getting first as well,” Farris said. 

Farris, freshman Vic­toria Addis, freshman Catherine Voisin, and Ellingson  teamed up and took home another first place in the 200-yard medley relay. 

All these vic­tories totaled 11 indi­vidual wins for the Chargers, as well as one team relay first place. It was an impressive day for the team despite the loss to Case Western.    

“Overall, the team did really well,” Farris said. “As a team, we took first place in almost every event. Each member of the team gave their best, and I’m proud of what we accom­plished together.”

Head coach Kurt Kirner said he was very happy with the progress the team has made in even this past week. He con­tinued to say that he was impressed by the quality of many of the women’s per­for­mances at Case Western.  

“We are always chal­lenged by the fact that we give up 32 points by not fielding a diving squad. We did an excellent job with our front line swimmers to almost pull a victory out against Case Western. Ohio Northern was a bit down this year but still pro­vided a chal­lenge for our sec­ondary event swimmers,” Kirner said.

Now nothing stands between the Chargers and the GLIAC cham­pi­onships at Saginaw Valley State Uni­versity.  on Feb. 8.

“Our total focus is rest and refinement. We are building our best race plan to chal­lenge for NCAA qual­i­fying cuts,” Kirner said.

DeTar said she hopes to get an NCAA B-cut time in the 50 and 100-yard freestyle events, and she hopes to see records broken by the Chargers.

“We want 100 percent lifetime bests out of our ath­letes. If we swim what we are capable of we should be able to score in every event except diving,” Kirner said.  

Farris said she looks forward to being rested for the races of the GLIAC cham­pi­onships. 

“I’m excited to see not only what I can accom­plish indi­vid­ually, but also what my team can accom­plish together,” Farris said. “We’ve all worked hard this season and I can’t wait to see all of it pay off.”