White lights are better for celebrating Christmas | Flickr
White lights are better for cel­e­brating Christmas | Flickr

I’m dreaming of a white Christmas. Specif­i­cally, I dream of a Christmas in which the lights blaze white. Please do not believe I write of the white flu­o­rescent lights that illu­minate retail stores or the white lights which cast an eerie blue hue. I am talking about the warm, glowing white lights which capture the essence of every­thing glo­rious about Christmas in their twin­kling exis­tence.

The most classic Christmas dec­o­ra­tions are those enveloped in the pristine, glowing warmth of white Christmas lights.  We find pic­tures of rooms dec­o­rated for Christmas in Pottery Barn where giant spruce trees and Douglas firs are wrapped in the star-like shine of white Christmas lights; radiant strands of white lights woven between the ban­isters of mahogany stair cases.

The brightest houses on the block are those which have been crisply out­lined with blazing clarity, bringing light to the neigh­borhood.

White Christmas lights are classy, tra­di­tional, bright, and simple. For min­i­malists like me, these pin­pricks of stardust are perfect for the hol­idays.  They don’t scream with a gaudy voice like colored Christmas lights, but like an elegant string of pearls, they grace the home. Colored lights, like the gum­drops on a gin­ger­bread house, grow stale and tiresome as the season wears on. White lights stay joyful until the day in January comes when they are taken down.

I grew up in the rural Midwest. In Southern Michigan the sun sets very early in the winter evenings. A dark and cold living room is set ablaze with the cheer of white Christmas lights. They are not harsh, but they are hopeful. Colored Christmas lights illu­minate the same room with a dingy glow resem­bling the atmos­phere of a cheap pub and grill.  Though newer, colored LED lights shine brighter than tra­di­tional colored lights, they pain the eyes with their garish shades of blue, pink, purple, and bright green.

White lights showcase the indi­vidual beauty of each ornament on the Christmas tree. Each unique ornament basks in the spot­light which casts no strange color upon it.  Colored lights distort the image of some orna­ments, upsetting the balance and beauty of the entire tree.

White lights don’t clash with wall­paper. Imagine a red glow on that green wall in the living room. White lights add to the charm of the space they adorn; they don’t turn it into a freakish nightmare of color clash.  

For a moment, let us pause and think of the reason we cel­e­brate Christmas.  Isaiah 9:6 reads: “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the gov­ernment shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Won­derful, Coun­sellor, The mighty God, The ever­lasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” This birth of a Prince, this cel­e­bration of Christ as man, is best rep­re­sented by pure white light. The Light of the World is best honored by the brightness of the white lights which we use to com­mem­orate this season.

Ms. Channels is a sophomore studying English and French.