Courtesy
Courtesy

Hillsdale College faculty are in the process of revising the school’s Policy on Aca­demic Honor.

With devel­op­ments in tech­nology, the internet has made cheating easier than ever before, neces­si­tating changes to the policy, Pro­fessor of Business Law David Paas said. Addi­tionally, since pla­giarism is the single offence addressed in the policy, the faculty is looking to change it so that it dif­fer­en­tiates between minor and major infrac­tions, giving leeway to honest mis­takes, he said.

“My opinion is it’s time to make changes,” Paas said. “We weren’t taking into account minor infrac­tions.”

Hillsdale faculty has written a pro­posal to alter the policy, and it is cur­rently in the Edu­ca­tional Policy Com­mittee for a rewrite. Once it passes the com­mittee, the entire faculty can vote on the pro­posal. Mark Nussbaum, pro­fessor of chem­istry and former dean of faculty, said if the faculty approves the change, the college Board of Trustees will be the ultimate deciding step of the policy’s adoption.

Provost David Whalen said at an insti­tution with rig­orous aca­d­emics like Hillsdale, cheating is a temp­tation and faculty must be vig­ilant.

Although the policy does outline sanc­tions, its purpose is to encourage stu­dents to show integrity in their coursework, Whalen said.

“There are pos­itive and neg­ative ways to remove the temp­tation,” he said. “The pos­itive way is to move stu­dents to see and appre­ciate the value of aca­demic honesty.”