Saturday’s orchestra concert canceled

Home Campus Saturday’s orchestra concert canceled
Saturday’s orchestra concert canceled

Music department chairman James Holleman canceled Saturday’s orchestra concert on Monday to preserve the balance non-music majors hold between their musical commitments and academic priorities. Holleman said the orchestra expressed positivity and a sense of relief when he announced the cancellation.

Considering many members of the orchestra participated in Handel’s “Messiah” for the performances this past Friday through Sunday, Holleman said the Christmas concert felt unnecessary and forced.

“I point to our willingness to balance schedules for non-music majors as the success of the music department,” Holleman said. “After the weight of the ‘Messiah,’ I had to remind myself of that commitment.”

Holleman didn’t cancel the concert any sooner, because he wanted to focus on the orchestra’s preparation for its hour-long performance in Washington, D.C., in February at the annual College Orchestra Director’s Association conference.

To prepare for the canceled concert, the orchestra would have spent this week rehearsing new music to pair with the repertoire it has practiced throughout the semester for the February performance.

Holleman discussed the cancellation with some of the student leaders in the orchestra, before announcing his decision Monday.

“The orchestra was willing to put in the effort, but it was too much for this time of year,” Holleman said.