sal-val
Junior Taylor Hannel, sophomore Lix Lux, and junior Lyndsey Bice ring the bell for the Sal­vation army GOAL Program outside of Mossey Library Tuesday. Breana Noble | Col­legian

’Tis the season for giving — and friendly com­pe­tition.

After Hillsdale College won its first bell-ringing com­pe­tition with Hillsdale Hos­pital in 2015, the busi­nesses are facing off again to raise money for the Sal­vation Army. The hos­pital kicked off this year’s contest Sat­urday at the Kroger on W. Car­leton, and the college will do its part  Dec. 17 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m..

“They are the two biggest employers in the county, and both exist to serve others,” Brock Lutz, the college’s director of health ser­vices and a member of the Hillsdale County Sal­vation Army’s advisory board said in an email. “Great success last year, people told me they loved doing it, so let’s do it again.”

In total, the college raised $1,595.84 to the hospital’s $1,298.24. This amount doesn’t include the money raised by stu­dents ringing the bell for the Sal­vation Army by Mossey Library through the on-campus GOAL Program.

The totals earned the college and hos­pital Bell Ringer Awards, being the second and third business to raise the most money in the county.

The No. 1 spot went to WCSR Radio, which raised more than $10,000 in just six hours last year at the Market House on W. Car­leton as it broad­casted live.

“It’s the gen­erosity of the our lis­teners,” said Bob Flynn, the afternoon host who will be ringing bells with Juli Morgan on Dec. 16 from noon to 6 p.m. “They bring buckets full of coins or very large checks and every­thing in between.”

WCSR has cor­porate sponsors to match the funds, allowing the station to double whatever people put in the bucket.

The Sal­vation Army returns all the dona­tions to the com­munity, sup­porting its efforts to provide a meal four days a week, fill its food pantry, provide fresh produce weekly, and fund activ­ities for county children, Sal­vation Army Admin­is­trative Assistant Kathryn Stump said.

That’s what Flynn said it is all about: “We just hope we can make it the mer­riest Christmas for everyone in the county.”

Previous articleBest Bar: Here’s to You Pub and Grub, Hillsdale
Next articleAlumna poet wins Princemere Prize
Breana Noble
Breana Noble is The Collegian's Editor-in-Chief. She is a born and raised Michigander and studies politics and journalism. This summer, Breana interned in New York City at TheStreet, a business and finance news website. She has previously worked for The Detroit News, The American Spectator, and Newsmax Media. She eventually hopes to pursue a career in investigative journalism. email: bnoble1@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @RightandNoble