Charger Chatter: Julia Wacker

Home Charger Women's Basketball Charger Chatter: Julia Wacker
Charger Chatter: Julia Wacker
julia-wacker
Julia Wacker is a freshman center on the Hillsdale College women’s basketball team from Palatine, Illinois. (Photo: Charger Athletics / Courtesy)

How long have you been playing basketball?

I have played organized basketball since second grade. Of course, growing up with two older brothers, I had been exposed to it beforehand.

What drew you to the sport?

I was always that kid who was a part of every park district league available. There was really no particular reason I started playing basketball,  but I continued to play the sport for a couple reasons. First, the reason anyone continues to play a sport, I play  for the love of the game.  Second, support from my older brother influenced me to stick with it. 

What was your high school basketball career like?

I was blessed to be a part of an exceptionally talented high school team, who brought me lots of opportunities in the world of basketball. Because of their talent, I was able to grow into the player I am today. I look forward to continue that growth both on the court and off as a Charger with a new team of exceptional athletes and people.  

How does playing at the college level differ from high school?

It is a much faster paced game in general, and it is a much larger time commitment, of course. The players are stronger, faster, and more talented. The team is also a much tighter unit as a result of the aforementioned differences. 

Do you like the change?

Yes. I am the type to always look for a new challenge and college athletics is obviously a challenge. 

Why did you decide to play for Hillsdale College?

My initial interest in the school was probably the same reason anyone is interested in Hillsdale — the values it holds and the quality of education I would receive here. As a recruit, I immediately felt like a part of the family, which is why I ultimately decided to commit.

You’ve had a successful start so far. What are your goals moving forward this season?

I obviously want to become a better player in all aspects of the game, so I can be a bigger asset to the team. More specifically, especially since this is my freshman year, I want to learn as much as possible from the older players in order to grow. They have a lot to teach me,  and I have a lot to learn.