SeniorLiving.org | Courtesy
SeniorLiving.org | Courtesy

Because many faculty advisers are busy or away from campus, club leaders may now request budget balance updates from Director of Student Activ­ities Anthony Manno as well as from their advisers.

At the request of Diane Philipp, vice pres­ident for student affairs and dean of women, Business Office Director Amy Massey ensured Manno is on the list of approved advisers for all on-campus orga­ni­za­tions to ease and quicken com­mu­ni­cation between the business office and student club leaders.

That means in addition to faculty advisers, Manno may now request a budget update for any on-campus club from the business offices. Student club members and leaders — even the pres­ident and trea­surer — don’t have per­mission.

Since clubs have “in-and-out” accounts instead of general ledger accounts, business office employees are the only people that have access to their accounts, Massey said.

Matt Vani­sacker, pres­ident of the Inter­fra­ternity Council, said not being able to see the budget has slowed down and altered IFC’s activ­ities. In years past, Vani­sacker said the account balance infor­mation the council received, at times, were incorrect.

In one instance, IFC made plans to partner with the Student Activ­ities Board for an event and promised to con­tribute funds based on the amount of money in its account, Vani­sacker said. He said he later learned the account held less than what the IFC’s adviser was told. As a result, the council couldn’t con­tribute its full share.

“It’s frus­trating because it’s hard to do my job well, when I don’t know how much money we have,” IFC Trea­surer senior Kelly Cotes said.

Massey said she cannot provide that infor­mation to stu­dents because student lead­ership posi­tions change so fre­quently. She only receives an updated list of advisers.

“Having one point of contact for me, that would be the most ideal, but the advisers can involve whoever they would like to be involved,” Massey said.

Massey sug­gested advisers carbon copy student leaders to email requests for the amount of money in club accounts so that stu­dents can see the infor­mation just as quickly as advisers.

Vani­sacker also said the process of receiving funds is chal­lenging. There is no simple way to sponsor funds up front, he said. The business office gen­erally reim­burses stu­dents for club costs, after showing a receipt. The process makes it dif­ficult for stu­dents to make large pur­chases like when IFC was planning a bar­becue last year when they don’t have several hundred dollars to spare, Vani­sacker said. IFC’s new adviser John Quint, assistant director of career ser­vices, often foots the bill until the reim­burse­ments are ready.

Massey said she doesn’t know of another way to reim­burse stu­dents up front.

“We have checks available once a week; we process req­ui­si­tions as quickly as pos­sible,” Massey said. “But that’s the other piece of going through the advisers: The advisers will know how a req­ui­sition should be filled out, what receipts need to be there, what sig­na­tures will be there.”

But some said they would like student leaders to have more control of club accounts.

“It’s kind of sad that the trea­surer of the orga­ni­zation — who’s in charge of putting together a budget for the semester — doesn’t even have access to figure out what we need to spend things on,” Vani­sacker said.