Paid to plan and play: Campus Rec staff offers college recess

Home Features Paid to plan and play: Campus Rec staff offers college recess
Chi Omega plays Josh Hoover’s Team in intramural volleyball. Evan Carter | Collegian

The atmosphere of the volleyball courts on the west side of the Fitness Center in Roche Sports Complex was competitive, but there were plenty of smiles both from the sidelines and on the court as “Josh Hoover’s Team” fought to break Chi Omega’s undefeated streak.

Chi Omega lost the first of three games, but fought back during the second, getting just enough shots past outstretched arms to grasp victory in game two. Everyone watched intently as junior Peter Flynn from Josh Hoover’s Team lined up his feet, preparing to serve. Resting the volleyball on his extended left arm, Flynn swung his right arm back, hand clenched in a fist.

The ball flew into the net with a muffled swish. Several points later, Chi Omega maintained their winning streak.

As the teams volleyed for victory, several of the Campus Rec student staff members sat on the sidelines, playing loud pop music, keeping score, and chatting. One, sophomore Jessie Wilcox, played for Josh Hoover’s Team. Another, senior Victoria Fassett, kept score.

Despite the loss, the gym was full of laughter and smiles, especially from the Campus Rec staff working the game.

“It’s really weird that we get paid to do it. Anytime we’re doing stuff, like setting up for the Zombie Run, we’re just out there having fun, messing around, and setting up stuff, and I totally can’t believe we get paid to do it,” said Wilcox, assistant director of intramural sports.

Similar to the Student Activities Board, Campus Rec hosts activities and events on campus to give students a break from their studies and a chance to be active and social while having fun. SAB handles more of the social events like Centralhallapalooza and the yearly ski trip, while Campus Rec typically hosts the more active events like the Zombie run and intramural flag football, volleyball, basketball, and soccer leagues.

Sophomore Emma McCormick, who played on the flag football team “Vicious and Delicious” earlier in the fall, said her favorite part of flag football wasn’t the games themselves, but the memories she shared with friends.

“I don’t remember specific games, or how we scored, or stuff like that, because that’s not what I focus on as much,” McCormick said. “I remember Hannah Fleming almost doing the splits trying to pull someone’s flag.”

The Campus Rec staff not only sets up IM sports leagues and hires referees for the games, but also works on planning, promoting, and hosting events. Senior Isaac Dell, student co-director of Campus Rec, said the people he works with help make the job fun.

“We have a really good team, with close-knit people, so it’s been really fun working with everybody. That’s what makes our job as fun as it is because we get to do things that are in and of themselves fun, but we’re also working with good people,” Dell said.

In planning the Zombie Run this year, the group watched YouTube videos of similar events and planned out new costumes and makeup. Unlike previous years, this year’s event was held at night and began with a haunted house. According to Campus Rec staff, it was a huge success with students.

“It was heart-wrenching to tear stuff down,” Wilcox said. “We spent so much time setting up the Zombie Run.”

Wilcox said the Campus Rec staff is willing to put in all of the hours needed to host special events because they love seeing people have a good time.  She also said she enjoys bringing people from a variety of social groups together through the events.

“I love people posting stuff on Facebook or on Instagram of people doing stuff at events we put on,” Wilcox said. “It’s really fun to get people to come together because you get everyone — it’s not just one type or group of people, you get some from every circle.”

Brad Kocher, director of recreational sports and athletic facilities, said beyond a little bit of direction from him, the Campus Rec staff does everything.

Kocher said student participation in Campus Rec activities has exploded in the past four years, in part due to the work of Campus Rec staff in expanding the number of activities it offers. In addition to revamping old events such as the Zombie Run, Campus Rec also offered new events such as the Freedom Run in October.

“The college has put a lot of emphasis on growing the program, and just five years ago Campus Rec offered three to four opportunities for students per semester, and now we have about 15,” Kocher said.

In addition to IM volleyball, Campus Rec will be hosting two more events before the end of the semester: a pingpong tournament this Saturday, and a dodgeball tournament Dec. 3.