While numerous college cam­puses are holding coun­seling ses­sions and protests in the wake of Pres­ident-elect Donald  Trump’s victory, a majority of Hillsdale College stu­dents said they were sat­isfed with the results.

Of 457 stu­dents, 49 percent said they voted for the Repub­lican can­didate, though 38 percent of respon­dents said they were “sat­isfied” that he won and another 20 percent reported being “extremely sat­isfied.” Although Trump sup­porters increased from The Collegian’s Oct. 20 poll of 493 stu­dents, it remained far below the 90 percent Repub­lican nominee Mitt Romney secured from Hillsdale stu­dents in 2012.

Trump gained 6 points from the October poll. Democrat Hillary Clinton dropped from 6 percent to 4 percent. Pro­fessor of Pol­itics Thomas West said when it comes to actually voting, they have to choose the better option.

“You don’t vote for the can­didate you like,” West said. “You vote for who will do the better job.”

Although Trump won the most support of all the cat­e­gories, the second largest was stu­dents who didn’t vote at all this election with 20 percent of the vote. Another 2 percent said they voted down ticket but not for pres­ident. In the October survey, only 11 percent said they weren’t planning on voting for pres­ident.

Many college stu­dents use absentee ballots to vote, and several stu­dents said they didn’t vote because their ballot didn’t make it to them. The choice in can­didate, however, could have played a factor, as well, Pro­fessor of Pol­itics Thomas West said.

“People thought, ‘He says so many bad things,’” West said. “‘He’s kind of a racist. He does these things to women.’ But then, Hillary may be the most corrupt can­didate ever in history.”

As a result of the decrease in Hillsdale par­tic­i­pation in the election, third party and inde­pendent can­di­dates suf­fered. Lib­er­tarian Party nominee Gary Johnson went from 20 percent support to 11 percent. Inde­pendent Evan McMullin fell from 11 percent to 8 percent.

“That’s a normal thing,” pol­itics department chairman Mickey Craig said. “Third parties lose traction the closer you get to election day. Look at Ross Perot. He was higher in the polls than when he won on election day. As crunch time comes, people flock to one of the two major can­di­dates.”

Fin­ishing out the election results, the Con­sti­tution Party’s Darrell Castle received 2 percent, and the Green Party’s Jill Stein and the Natural Law Party’s Emidio Mimi Soltysik earned less than 1 percent. Others received 1 percent of the survey votes.

As for sat­is­faction of the election results, junior Noah Weinrich said he was sur­prised by the results.

“Some people might have opposed him because of what he said for per­sonal and moral reasons,” Weinrich said. “But they’re happy that the Repub­lican won and have Con­gress, too.”

Not everyone is happy with the results, though. More than 20 percent said they were “neutral” on the pres­i­dential election results, 13 percent “dis­sat­isfied,” and 8 percent “extremely dis­sat­isfied.”

Overall, however, stu­dents appear to be keeping an open mind for a Trump pres­i­dency.

“I’m very sat­isfied, and I’m very relieved that Hillary Clinton won’t be pres­ident,” Craig said. “This is the hap­piest I’ve been after an election since 1980. Just like it was removing Carter, it is a relief to not have the Clintons back in the White House.”

Previous articleEmily Oren wins Detroit Half Marathon
Next articleCelebrating a special zeal for life
Thomas Novelly
Collegian Editor-in-Chief, Thomas Novelly was born in Novi, Michigan, but was raised in Franklin, Tennessee, making him a self-proclaimed "Yankee gone South." Thomas began writing for The Collegian as a sophomore, and since has served as a reporter, columnist, and Assistant City News Editor. He has also worked for two major publications, interning at the Washington Free Beacon in D.C. and The Tennessean in Nashville. His work has been seen in National publications such as CBS News, National Review Online, Stars And Stripes, and USA Today. Follow him on Twitter @TomNovelly.