img_6582-jpg
Senior Kie Kababik poses with his shotgun after the Grand American in Sparta, Illinois. (Photo: Kie Kababik | Courtesy)

Senior Hillsdale shotgun team member Kie Kababik was inducted into the Eastern States Trap­shooting Hall of Fame for lifetime accom­plish­ments in shooting sports this fall.

“I was very happy about it. It’s a really big honor for me to have my achieve­ments rec­og­nized at such a young age,” Kababik said. “It’s also important because I started shooting at the club where the hall of fame is located, and it’s great to be honored there.”

Kababik, the youngest ever inducted into the hall of fame, has been shooting since 2007, when he was in sixth grade. Despite not having a team at his high school, he con­tinued shooting indi­vid­ually until he joined the Hillsdale shotgun team.

Assistant coach Joe Kain, who has known Kababik for 11 years, said the induction is important to his family and others who have watched Kababik develop his shooting ability. He added that Kababik worked hard to earn his induction.

“It’s really rep­re­sen­tative of his shooting, including the type of person he is and the people he sur­rounds himself with,” Kain said. “When he first started, he was good at one thing, but, as time has passed, he has improved a lot and expanded his abil­ities and what he does well.”

Team admin­is­trator Adam Burlew said said Kababik’s award helps the team in many ways, including showing younger shooters the level of accom­plishment team members can reach with hard work.

“The new guys can talk to him and see how every­thing works. He has lots of expe­rience and can speak intel­li­gently about shooting,” Burlew said. “It shows that this type of thing is doable, that the next level of shooter is here among us.”

Burlew praised Kababik, who has been part of the team for their past three D-III national cham­pi­onship vic­tories, saying Kababik is someone Burlew and the other coaches can count on to con­sis­tently shoot well.

“He can shoot trap better than anyone, and it’s nice to have someone we can depend on,” Burlew said. “If we’re putting money on who can shoot 100, it’s Kie every time.”