Historical Society awards owners of restored homes

Home City News Historical Society awards owners of restored homes
Robert and Barbara Watkins posed outside of their house, which was a centennial farm that dates to the 1870s. The house had stayed within the Watkins family ever since the time of its construction.  Julie Havlak/Collegian
Robert and Barbara Watkins posed outside of their house, which
was a centennial farm that dates to the 1870s. The house had stayed
within the Watkins family ever since the time of its construction.
Julie Havlak/Collegian

Over the centuries, the farm has changed: the milk house became a garage, the shed now stores junk instead of ice packed in sawdust, and the rafters of the barn were nailed into a fence and collected in a scrap heap — but enough remained the same for the Watkins’ farm to receive one of four awards given by the Hillsdale County Historical Society.

Each year, the Historical Society recognizes homeowners for beautifying or restoring historic structures. Three of the four awards this year went to centennial farms — farms over a hundred years old that have remained in the hands of the original family.

In the past, the society based their awards on submitted recommendations and by driving around the county, but this year it based them off of word of mouth. The society also set up a permanent display at the Hillsdale County Fair to recognize Hillsdale’s centennial and sesquicentennial farms. The society renovated what was the Palace Cafe’s fairground restaurant into a museum with the help of $8,500 in donations, said Historical Society member Mary Foulke.

“I grew up in a centennial farm in Monroe County, and it gives me a really deep appreciation because I know what they go through,” Foulke said. “There are so many things you cannot control, and to still have this farm your ancestors worked on is really awesome. And to think the world wars, the Depression, and they still have it. And usually centennial farm families are very proud of it.”

The Watkins’ farm was not the only awarded structure that dates back to the 1800s. The farm of Hillsdale resident Mary Smith, 72, was built by pioneers who migrated westward in 1833.  Smith’s ancestors moved from New York to Michigan with three young children, cut a clearing in the forest, and built Smith’s house out of field-stones in 1860.

“Back in the 1800s, those people had to worry about survival,” Smith said. “Coming to something unknown by oxen, and then building a house here — I have a whole bucket of Indian arrowheads, this was Indian territory — it is hard to imagine.”

But if it were possible to imagine living in the 1800s anywhere, it would likely be in Smith’s house. The house is decorated to period.

“It is like stepping back in time. I was in awe, being in that house,” Foulke said. “It is a beautiful place, and there is so much history there. I feel honored that I got to see this house. The three properties were just awesome.”

Hillsdale resident Barbara Church also received an award for restoring her barn, which was moved by a sled pulled by horses in the 1920s, according to Historical Society member JoAnne Miller.

Hillsdale residents Richard Kessler and Roger Seaney were recognized for preserving a wood home built in the 1840s. They were only the third owners of what is likely the oldest wood home in Hillsdale, Miller said.

The Watkins’ farm has stayed in their family for five generations. Farm owners Bob and Barbara Watkins moved into the farmhouse five years ago, at which time only the first floor was livable. Since then, they have renovated and insulated the second floor.

“I didn’t think there was any expectation. It was just something I wanted to do,” Bob Watkins said. “Even though I didn’t live here, I spent most of my childhood here helping my grandpa. I liked doing it. It kept [my cousins and I] out of trouble.”

The future of at least two of the centennial farms remains uncertain, however. The Watkins and Smiths both said they doubt that their children will be interested in the farm.

“What is in our future with this farm, I don’t know. There are other Cooks, so maybe someone will be interested when our days are over,” Smith said. “And if not, hopefully somebody who buys the farm will be able to enjoy it as much as I do. Life goes on. I’m just glad I’ve been able to be the keeper of it for a while.”