Hillsdale residents shared their predictions after voting. | Wikimedia
Hillsdale res­i­dents shared their pre­dic­tions after voting. | Wiki­media

During exit inter­views con­ducted at the Hillsdale Com­munity Library voting precinct by The Hillsdale Col­legian, voters shared their thoughts regarding the issues that mat­tered to them in the 2016 general election.

“I’m a little dis­ap­pointed in the national can­di­dates, how they were all about downing each other and sharing bad news about each other,” Hillsdale res­ident Shelly Wed­dington said. “I want someone who will be out there looking out for our state and world, not worried about ‘he said, she said.’”

Wed­dington said that although she was uncom­fortable with the level of mud­slinging to which the can­di­dates reduced them­selves, the scandals sur­rounding former pres­i­dential can­didate Sec. Hillary Clinton gave her some pause. She said she also ques­tions Clinton’s stance on abortion and financial policies.

“Her support of abortion at 36 weeks — it’s absurd. I don’t believe in abortion, period, but you can take your child home at 36 weeks,” Wed­dington said.

In the election for the 7th Dis­trict in the U.S. House of Rep­re­sen­ta­tives, Wed­dington had more con­fi­dence in her can­didate, Rep. Tim Walberg, R-Mich.

“He seems like a pretty good guy. I def­i­nitely went with him. He’s being honest about what he’s offering, so I was pretty happy with him,” Wed­dington said.

Lt. Tim Parker, who won his race for Hillsdale County sheriff, was the subject of con­tro­versy during his cam­paign for vio­lating the Hatch Act by posing with his official uniform in cam­paign mate­rials. This con­tro­versy lead some cit­izens, such as Wed­dington, to recon­sider voting for him.

Others, however, said Parker’s actions did not change their minds.

“Tim’s alright. He wasn’t my pref­erence,” Hillsdale res­ident Jason Snoes said. “I’m not opposed to Tim. I’m okay with that.”

Snoes was sup­portive of Pres­ident-elect Donald Trump, espe­cially the candidate’s assessment of the elec­toral system, which both he and Snoes say is rigged.

“I’m with Trump — he says it’s a sham. With the way the elec­toral system is, they take a lot of power out of the voters,” Snoes said. “I think they should count the votes vote for vote, instead of having this ‘each state gets this many votes’ system.”

The Rev. Steven Allen, a Greek Orthodox whose family has roots in the Hillsdale area dating back to 1812, said he was sup­portive of Trump, though he had reser­va­tions about his vote.

“I’m a die-hard monar­chist, so, even if our republic were still legit­imate, I would say its system is uncon­genial to my sen­si­bil­ities,” Allen said. “I believe that Clinton is the tool of an insane hubristic war estab­lishment, and if we let these people stay in power, we could enter a war with Russia or China, which is insane, since our mil­itary can’t win such a war.”

Allen said he held his nose the first time he voted Repub­lican, and that he did so again today. He explained that he had to choose the worse of two evils, but that he knew what he had to do.

“Pol­itics is the art of the pos­sible, so instead of voting for the devil I voted for a weak human being,” Allen said.

Nobody The Col­legian inter­viewed said they sup­ported Clinton and a clear majority sup­ported Walberg.