After Thanks­giving (and some­times even Hal­loween) is over, people can expect to be bom­barded in public by peppy elves, twin­kling snowflakes, and wishes for a “Happy Holiday!” Of course, these are accom­panied by the inevitable Christmas and winter tunes. Hills­dalians portray a variety of opinions on Christmas music — from those who declare that they hate it, to those who listen to it as a cure for home­sickness, to those who play it on the kazoo to force stu­dents out of the science lab. Putting the more unusual opinions aside, the four stu­dents below are pas­sionate about the correct timing of Christmas music…though they have very dif­ferent views on the matter.

Dietrich Balsbaugh, freshman

dietrichbalsbaugh

When should Christmas music be played?

As soon as mid­night hits on the night of Thanks­giving, you can turn on the Christmas music.

Why do you think so?

Putting on Christmas music before Thanks­giving sym­bolizes the dis­so­lution of our society and the growth of American greed and con­sumerism. Thanks­giving is one of the greatest American hol­idays. It’s so looked over partly because of Christmas music. Thanks­giving is remem­bering what we’re thankful for, so it’s a prepa­ration for Christmas, and when it’s properly observed it makes Christmas all the more joyous. (And, a lot of popular Christmas music deals with snow, which doesn’t make sense if it’s played too early.)

What’s your favorite Christmas music?

I can’t answer that. It’s before Thanks­giving.

For real, though, my favorite Christmas song is “In the Bleak Mid­winter.”

Madeline Campbell, freshman

madelinecampbell

When should Christmas music be played?

It should not be played until the day after Thanks­giving, or November 25th if that comes first. I have sung Christmas music in August, but that was because I was starting to practice for a concert in December. If you have to hear Christmas music for a concert, you can start lis­tening earlier, but that’s the only exception.

Why do you think so?

Early Christmas music over­shadows Thanks­giving, which is its own holiday. Christmas music is only special in its proper season. And, if you think about it, most people play the same approx­i­mately twenty Christmas songs over and over, and you get so tired of them if you hear them for a pro­tracted amount of time.

What’s your favorite Christmas music?

I rarely find a Christmas song I do not like. It’s not really a song you can sing, but “Carol of the Bells” is my favorite. Text-wise, I love “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel.”

Evan Willis, senior

evanwillis

When should Christmas music be played?

I think Christmas music should be played during Christmas — beginning the 25th of December and lasting until the 6th of January, which is Epiphany, the close of the Christmas season. We should play Advent music during Advent, the period before Christmas.

Why do you think so?

That time is the Christmas season as tra­di­tionally defined from the ear­liest time of Chris­tianity, until the com­mer­cial­ization of Christmas decided to start the holiday a month early.

What’s your favorite Christmas music?

My favorite Christmas song is the “Boar’s Head Carol.” As for albums, my favorite is Eugene Sings! Christmas, or Nox Arcana’s Christmas albums, which tend to be good ones.

Emilia Heider, sophomore

emiliaheider

When should Christmas music be played?

Anytime, but pre­dom­i­nantly before Christmas, which means after Hal­loween. After Thanks­giving is a little late, but I know a lot of people who think that’s a good time to start. I do listen to Christmas music anytime I feel like it: in the summer and year-round.

Why do you think so?

Christmas carols are so beau­tiful, and there’s not really enough time to listen to them all right before Christmas.

What’s your favorite Christmas music?

She & Him is an indie band that has one of my favorite Christmas albums. Of course, I also love Frank Sinatra’s Christmas music and classics like that. I don’t like the modern pop Christmas music as much, but the Christmas hymns are beau­tiful, espe­cially “Adeste Fideles.”