Ludwig von Mises | Wikimedia Commons
Ludwig von Mises | Wiki­media Commons

The college’s second Center for Con­structive Alter­na­tives seminar begins Sunday and will examine the ideas of Aus­trian eco­nomics and its two most famous philoso­phers.

Director of Pro­grams for External Affairs Matt Bell said the point of the CCAs is to further the mission of the college in edu­cating stu­dents and now a greater audience because of the ability to stream the lec­tures online. The ideas of Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich Hayek per­pet­uated the values of liberty and inde­pen­dence, Bell said.

“If you don’t have civil and reli­gious freedom, you probably don’t have eco­nomic freedom,” Bell said.

The CCA is part of the Ludwig von Mises Lecture Series started by former college Pres­ident George Roche the year after von Mises’ death in 1974 to honor him and further under­standing of the eco­nomic system he pro­moted.

The seminar’s speakers will include Aus­trian econ­o­mists Israel Kirzner, Lawrence H. White, Hillsdale alumnus Robert P. Murphy ’97, and Peter Boettke as well as authors Nicholas Wap­shott and Eugen-Maria Schulak.

Pro­fessor of Eco­nomics Ivan Pon­gracic said given that the work of Mises and Hayek covered not only eco­nomics but pol­itics, policy, and phi­losophy, con­densing it all into a roughly hour-long CCA speech would be dif­ficult.

“Mises and Hayek rev­o­lu­tionized Aus­trian eco­nomics,” Pon­gracic said.

Pon­gracic said although Aus­trian eco­nomics is growing in pop­u­larity today, it was “het­erodox” during much of the time von Mises and Hayek were alive. The thinkers, however, pro­moted their the­ories in the midst of the Great Depression and the rise of Com­munism after World War II.

“For my money, these were two of the greatest thinkers of the 20th century,” Pon­gracic said.