hillcats_weatherrept_poster_fall2016
The Hillcats will perform fusion-jazz this Friday | Courtesy

The Hillcats Faculty Jazz Ensemble will rock the Markel Audi­torium with rock beats and elec­tronic instru­ments as they perform a concert of jazz-fusion music this Friday, Oct. 28, at 8 p.m.

With a program full of jazz blended with clas­sical, funk, and rock ele­ments, Lec­turer in Music and sax­o­phonist Jonathon Gewirtz said this concert will cover material not usually asso­ciated with a tra­di­tional jazz concert. Instead, the night will mainly feature the music of jazz-fusion band Weather Report.

“Weather Report was one of the most suc­cessful, both artis­ti­cally and com­mer­cially, of these ‘jazz-fusion’ groups to come out of the 1970s and 1980s,” Lec­turer in Music Jonathon Gewirtz said.

Weather Report’s music departs from jazz’s typical free style, their com­pletely com­posed pieces leaving no room for impro­vi­sation, Gewirtz said.

“Weather Report changed the face of music with their fusion of jazz, rock, funk, and clas­sical influ­ences,” Jazz Bass Instructor Hank Horton said. “They were arrogant, loud, and arguably some of the finest musi­cians on the planet at the time.”

Admission to Friday’s concert is free, and no tick­eting is required.

“People will enjoy the col­lection of tunes, and the extremely tal­ented group of musi­cians you will hear on Friday night,” Horton said. “We plan on having lots of fun.”