Democratic House candidate Driskell plans to bring jobs, businesses to district

Home City News Democratic House candidate Driskell plans to bring jobs, businesses to district
Democratic candidate Gretchen Driskill seeks to defeat Republican incumbent Tim Walberg this November/Wikimedia Commons

In a battleground district where Republicans have won three of the last four elections, Democrat Gretchen Driskell is hoping her views on trade and the economy will draw voters to polls this November.

Driskell, the former mayor of Saline and current Michigan assemblywoman, is running against incumbent Rep. Tim Walberg, R-Mich., for Michigan’s 7th Congressional district. Issues like the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the lack of jobs, and the survival of small businesses are driving Driskell’s campaign.

“I believe my job in congress is to do everything I can so the people in the 7th district have the support they need moving forward,” Driskell said. “If you don’t have businesses with good-paying jobs, you don’t have successful communities.”

The district, which stretches from Lansing to Hillsdale and Monroe to Coldwater, is considered a battleground district by both Democrats and Republicans. It has split votes between the two parties for six consecutive presidential elections. According to Real Clear Politics, however, the district is leaning Republican in this year’s Congressional race.

It has been highlighted by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee as a seat they hope to flip in 2016. The DCCC has selected Driskell for their “red to blue” program, and has financially supported her campaign in the race against Walberg.

According to Driskell, her campaign has focused on personal interactions, relying on door-to-door campaigning.

“I go door-to-door and talk with people. Some of them are working two or three jobs just to pay bills,” Driskell said. “What we have learned is they want a representative that listens to them and works for them.”

In addition to going door-to-door, her campaign has spent thousands on campaign ads. According to the Federal Election Commission, both Driskell’s and Walberg’s campaigns have received almost $1.5 million in campaign contributions.

“This really is as close to a 50-50 district in terms of Democrats and Republicans in the district as there is in the country,” said Driskell’s campaign manager, Keenan Pontoni. “We certainly hope that Tim Walberg’s voting record increases our chances, since it’s in line with special interests and it’s against working families.”

Driskell’s campaign has run multiple ads focusing on Walberg’s votes on trade deals during his time in Congress, specifically highlighting his vote to give President Obama fast track authority to negotiate the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

“We certainly want to make sure we’re doing everything we can to bring jobs back to Michigan, and that starts with fixing bad trade deals like NAFTA, which Walberg has said is good policy,” Pontoni said.

Walberg’s campaign manager, Stephen Rajzer, responded by saying the Driskell campaign’s comments are misleading.

“Congressman Walberg doesn’t hide that he is for free and fair trade,” Rajzer said. “Driskell is really grasping for straws and not telling the whole story on the Congressman’s trade record.”

Driskell believes her experience working with manufacturing as Mayor of Saline will strike the right tone with voters and help her bring high-paying jobs to the district.

“There’s a lot of economic anxiety in the 7th,” Driskell said. “There are things that a government can do to help business grow.”