Upgraded sound system ready for ‘Eumenides’

Home Campus Upgraded sound system ready for ‘Eumenides’
Nicole Dignoti on the new soundboard. Madeleine Jepsen | Collegian

The audience for “Eumenides” will hear the show’s unique songs through the new sound equipment in Markel Auditorium.

The upgrade, which includes two self-powered speakers and wireless microphones, will serve as a temporary replacement for Markel’s current speaker system until funds permit for the nearly 20-year-old system to be completely replaced. The updated equipment also includes a new soundboard, which replaces the one the theater department had been using.

Chief Administrative Officer Rich Péwé said these new speakers will serve as a temporary solution, as the college saves for more extensive upgrades.

The primary expense in a complete replacement of the sound system comes from the speakers mounted on the walls, which must be purchased, calibrated, and installed.

For now, Professor of Theater George Angell said “Eumenides,” which opens Wednesday, will use the two new portable speakers. The college will incorporate those into a monitor system to provide audio feedback for performers on stage once the old sound system is replaced.

“Eumenides” will feature original songs specially composed by theater alumna Eileen (Hallagan) Simpson ’07. The songs are recorded by the cast beforehand and played during the performance to supplement the live singing.

“That’s something we don’t always do,” said Michael Beyer, lighting designer and production manager. “It’s a lot more involved than we’re used to, and that’s a good thing.”

Beyer also said it will require more from junior Nikolai Dignoti, the sound technician operating the new board during “Eumenides.”

“He’ll get a lot more experience than typically just pressing play on a couple sound cues and listening to them,” Beyer said.

Dignoti will run the new sound board from the back of the auditorium, rather than from the lighting and sound booth. This will allow for more accurate feedback for the sound technicians, giving them a better idea of how the audio sounds for the audience in Markel, Angell said.

As the cast and crew continue to prepare for this fall’s production, the theater department will learn about the new equipment’s capabilities.

“Just how flexible the system is and how we can best use it, we’re finding out,” Angell said. “This show will hopefully tell us a lot more.”