Reaching new GOALs

Home Campus Reaching new GOALs
Reaching new GOALs
image
Monicah Wanjiru / Courtesy

The GOAL Program, a student-run volunteer organization, introduces High Rise Friends and Hillsdale Youth Mentoring. High Rise Friends is looking for volunteers to spend time with the elderly, while Hillsdale Youth Mentoring is searching out students who want to help provide stability for struggling students.

Junior Monicah Wanjiru is starting a program at Hillsdale High Rise Apartments. Within walking distance from campus, the apartments house elderly and handicapped residents, many of whom cannot drive and are not able to do simple tasks for themselves, like take out the trash. Many stay inside watching TV all day, with the mailman as their only visitor, she said.

During InterVarsity Christian Fellowship’s spring break mission trip last semester in Hillsdale, Wanjiru said she and several other students were heartbroken by the situation they found at the apartments.

“Afterward, we sat in the church sanctuary in silence for like an hour,” Wanjiru said. “Finding out that some don’t know [about the residents’ situation] — that was quite something.”

Wanjiru said she wants volunteers to bring their board games, musical instruments, Bible studies, or a listening ear to the apartments.

“If a team is looking for a philanthropic thing to do, move your breakfast, move your hang-out time to the High Rise,” she said. “All we need is community there.”

Hillsdale Youth Mentoring, led by sophomore Emily Walker, is providing opportunities for elementary and middle school teachers to pair student volunteers with children from the community who struggle with anything from bullying to school work to issues at home. The volunteer will meet with the student once a week during lunch or recess to play games, do crafts, or just talk.

“People sometimes underestimate the importance for these kids of having one thing that’s consistent in their lives because so much is not consistent,” Walker said.

Walker has been looking for ways to reach out to children in the community, ever since she got to Hillsdale. After going through rough times in high school herself, she said she is now passionate about helping children who are struggling.

“Sometimes it’s nice to have someone close to your age who’s just going to be there to play games, and hang out, and give you a hug,” Walker said.

Alexis Garcia, director of the GOAL Program, said there is great need in the community for both of the programs.

“There is a huge need in the county for the mentoring.” Garcia said. “High Rise is also a very strong need. There are just so many people there who need company and encouragement.”

To learn more about and get involved in High Rise Friends and Hillsdale Youth Mentoring, email mwanjiru@hillsdale.edu or ewalker1@hillsdale.edu respectively.