golf
The Hillsdale College golf team warms up on range before the Midwest Fall Regional at Har­borside Inter­na­tional Golf Center in Chicago, Illinois. The Chargers placed 12th at the tour­nament. (Photo: Madeline Barry / Hillsdale Col­legian)

After the first round of play in Chicago this week, the Hillsdale College golf team posi­tioned itself for a top five finish. Unfor­tu­nately, a rough second day pushed the Chargers out of the top 10.

Hillsdale’s golf team played in the Midwest Fall Regional at Har­borside Inter­na­tional Golf Center in Chicago, Illinois, on Sept. 26 – 27.

The Chargers played well the first day, scoring 315, which was good for fifth place.

Sophomore Liam Purslowe said a lack of prepa­ration to play in the tough Chicago con­di­tions hurt the team’s scores the second day, and the team shot 328.

“Both days were extremely windy with 30 to 40 mph gusts, and the course was very exposed to the ele­ments, which made it even worse,” Purslowe said.

With an overall score of 643, they fell 29 shots short of the tour­nament winner, Uni­versity of Mis­souri-St. Louis.

Purslowe put up a 77 on the first day of the tour­nament and was sit­uated in the top 20 going into day two. Purslowe said he wasn’t able to hold on because of the wind, and he shot 83 the second day. His day-two per­for­mance left him tied for 33rd out of 124 players.

Junior Joe Torres was the low scorer for Hillsdale. He tied for 16th place, shooting 75 and 81.

Sophomore Henry Hitt said he went into the tour­nament with the expec­tation to have a good showing, but struggled to put up good scores. He said he was happy with the way he was swinging the club, so he thinks he’ll be able to put the tour­nament behind him.

“In golf, your most important asset is to have a short-term memory to forget poor shots or even tour­na­ments as a whole,” Hitt said.

Sophomore Andrew Grayson played well through the wind on day two.

“The second day I played much better and was in position to post a good score until I played my last four holes 5 over,” Grayson said.

He shot 88 the first day and 81 the second day, despite a poor finish.

“Hope­fully we can learn from it and next time tough con­di­tions like that arrive, we can adjust properly and finish the tour­nament well,” Grayson said.

This weekend, all 12 players will travel to play in two dif­ferent tour­na­ments.

This weekend, one group of golfers will play in the Kyle Ryman Memorial Tour­nament in Tiffin, Ohio, and the other will play in the Spring­field Invite in Spring­field, Illinois.