Charger Chatter: Kyra Rodi

Home Charger Volleyball Charger Chatter: Kyra Rodi
Charger Chatter: Kyra Rodi
kyra-rodi
Kyra Rodi is a senior biochemistry major from Temecula, California. She plays middle/right side on Hillsdale’s volleyball team and will begin as a pitcher on the softball team this year. (Photo: Hillsdale Athletics / Courtesy).

What made you decide to compete in two sports this year, especially now as a senior?

I had bounced around the idea of playing softball during my senior spring since coming into college as there is much more time available after the volleyball fall season your senior year. I had committed to playing volleyball coming in, so I knew it wasn’t an option for me to try and split time between teams before this spring, and it wouldn’t be fair to either of them. However, I mentioned to one of my friends on the softball team that I would love to get pitching lessons and joked about wanting to play this spring. I went out and threw a few times and was shocked that the softball coach said it could be possible for me to play. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be able to play softball again and to be a part of the awesome team here at Hillsdale.

How long has it been since you’ve played softball competitively?

The last competitive travel team I played on was in sixth grade, though I played pick-up and practiced some with the high school team up through freshman year. The high school softball coach told me that it wouldn’t be possible for me to play both club volleyball and softball at the same time, and so I chose volleyball.

Which sport do you prefer, and why?

I love both, and different things about both. I love the complexity and beauty in volleyball, the attention to detail, the fast pace, the dependence on your teammates, the long rallies, and the passion that we play with. I grew up playing softball, and so that in itself brings back so many good memories. I miss the mound, the individual pressure and mind games that you can play with the opposing team. I miss the sport itself, and even working a softball camp this summer I was so thankful that I have the opportunity to play again.

What are you most looking forward to about the softball season?

I am looking forward to everything. First of all, I am excited to be able to play with some of my best friends here, and to build relationships with the girls on the team. I look forward to learning this sport again, to the challenge of catching up on all the years I’ve missed, to the blisters from batting and the sore shoulder from pitching. I love the sport, and so to just be out on the field again is an opportunity I am so thankful for. I know how hard the softball team has worked over this past year, and coming off of such a successful season last year, I can’t wait to see how we compete this spring.

How have you prepared for both seasons over the summer?

I pitched a few times a week this summer. Cassie Asselta is a senior catcher, and we were both here over summer school doing research, so she was able to catch for me and also give a lot of instruction. Sarah Klopfer has also spent time helping me, and I’m so thankful for her knowledge and guidance as a pitcher. For volleyball, I worked out a lot, played in a beach tournament, worked the Hillsdale summer camps, and got to play with the team some as well.

How do you plan to juggle the volleyball season and the softball fall season?

During the fall season, my first commitment is to my volleyball team. I will be at all of the practices/meetings/lifts during season and am focused on giving all I can to my team. I plan on making all of the softball meetings that I can, though I know it won’t be many during the fall and won’t make most of the practices or games. I am enrolled in the softball class with Coach Joe, so hopefully I can put in some work pitching during that time, though I do need to be careful about taking care of my shoulder. Once the volleyball season is over, I get to commit to softball and will make as much of the volleyball time as I can. Both Coach Gravel and Coach Joe have been awesome about being flexible and willing to work with me, which makes it possible to play both.

What do you hope to accomplish in each sport during your final year?

During my final year, I hope to become a better teammate and a better player and ultimately to glorify God. Obviously, we’re all working for successful seasons, and I hope to help my teams in whichever ways I can for the success of the team. For volleyball, I want to cherish every practice and sprint and extra rep, because I know how quickly the last three years have been. I want to help this younger team develop into strong leaders and players because there is a lot of talent returning next year. On the softball team, I am so thankful that God has given me the opportunity to play again, and so I want to be able to play fearlessly and for the love of the game each time I step out onto the field. I want to build relationships with my teammates, and encourage them in their successes.