James Carafano | Courtesy
James Carafano | Courtesy

The scariest part of the future of ter­rorism, lec­turer James Carafano said, is that he has no idea what it will look like.

“Today, there are more ter­rorists worldwide than there were in 2008,” he said. “There are more deaths from ter­rorism. There are more ter­rorist plots against the United States. We’re at this place where we’re getting ready to go into a new phase of ter­rorism.”

On Monday, the pro­fessor at Hillsdale College’s Allan P. Kirby Jr. Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies and Cit­i­zenship in Wash­ington, D.C., spoke on foreign policy to a classroom stuffed with 50 stu­dents for Hillsdale College’s Young Amer­icans for Freedom and the Wash­ington-Hillsdale Internship Program. Carafano is the vice pres­ident of foreign policy and defense studies at The Her­itage Foun­dation.

He illus­trated the rising and falling trends of ter­rorist attacks in America with a curve and high­lighted sig­nif­icant years in the timeline, including the decreased activity leading to 9/11. Addi­tionally, Carafano com­mented on the present state of global ter­rorism and how it affects America.

“Carafano did a phe­nomenal job ana­lyzing the U.S. foreign policy sit­u­ation in the Middle East as well as with respect towards Russia and Kur­distan,” junior Razi Lane said.

Carafano nor­mally teaches classes on national security for stu­dents par­taking in WHIP. The program allows those stu­dents to take courses with Hillsdale at its Kirby Center while interning for a semester in the nation’s capital.

“Dr. Carafano is an expert on pretty much all things foreign policy related,” junior Jack Sinko said. “Espe­cially when it has to do with uses of force and mil­itary inter­vention. Having been an Army lieu­tenant colonel himself, he brought real life expe­rience and sub­stance to his classes that most pro­fessors can’t provide.”

Senior Gwen­dolyn Hodge attended the lecture and also par­tic­i­pated in WHIP. She said Carafano inspired stu­dents to take a closer look at national security.

“The structure of our nation’s security can some­times be a dry or tedious subject,” she said. “Carafano gave it life and trig­gered our thirsts to learn more about foreign policy.”