Alumni flood IA openings

Home Alumni Alumni flood IA openings
Alumni flood IA openings

When three staff writing positions became available in institutional advancement, its executive director didn’t have to look too far for new employees.

Nancy Johnson said the 13 applications she received were all from alumni, who stated they enjoyed their time at Hillsdale College and wanted to return and help further the college’s mission. Although Johnson said she wasn’t in search of Hillsdale College graduates to hire, their knowledge of the school gives them an advantage.

“I hired excellent writers,” Johnson responded. “I think that’s what I was aiming for. Alumni are good for writing positions. They already know the institution, so we’re miles ahead.”

Located in Moss Hall, institutional advancement fundraises for the college. Johnson said having personal experience with Hillsdale allows her employees to better convey the college’s essence and mission through its outreach efforts, including letters to college supporters and mass mailers.

That’s what Katie Sorensen ’15 said attracted her to the position.

“I saw the opportunity as a staff writer to convey as truthfully as possible the college’s message,” Sorensen said. “I’m excited about the variety of things I’m going to be working on.”

Although Sorensen said she learned about the position through the job listing on Hillsdale’s website, Johnson said several alumni, including John Brooks ’13, heard about the position from an email forwarded to them by a former professor.

“That’s a pretty good endorsement,” Johnson said.

Kristen Aavang ’16, a new staff writer, said she saw the opening as a place she could use her talents. Aavang worked with institutional advancement, while attending Hillsdale, and she left a copy of her resume with the office in case a positioned opened.

“It was exactly the kind of job I was looking for right out of college,” Aavang said. “I really enjoy being able to use my writing and research skills from my history major.”

For Brooks, the job keeps him busy as he pursues his master’s degree at the Van Andel Graduate School of Statesmanship.

“The people at IA are the best at what they do, and I’m looking forward to doing that, to make Hillsdale what it is,” Brooks said. “I’m happy to be here.”