This summer, Hillsdale College’s admis­sions office wel­comed five new coun­selors and staff, all with one common factor: their alumni status.

Using their own expe­ri­ences, alumni in admis­sions are better equipped to rep­resent Hillsdale and recruit stu­dents that are a good fit for the college, said Zack Miller, ’11, senior director of admis­sions. The new group — which includes former Greeks, ath­letes, and Col­le­giate Scholars — show­cases the variety of oppor­tu­nities Hillsdale offers.

“One of the most important jobs that we do is tell the Hillsdale story,” Miller said. “Using the per­sonal expe­ri­ences that our alumni have really allows them to connect with stu­dents and give them true under­standing and a good impression of Hillsdale.”

Since admis­sions rep­re­sen­ta­tives inspired his atten­dance to Hillsdale as a prospective student, admis­sions coun­selor Matt Sauer ’16 said he hopes to do the same in his new position.

“I saw people in admis­sions that I wanted to be like and who rep­re­sented them­selves and the college very well in a selfless and a humble way, and so whatever I am doing here, I am trying to emulate those people who first taught me what it was like,” Sauer said. “I am striving to maintain that integrity that they showed me so well.”

The per­sonal attention sophomore Andrew Lohman said he received from the admis­sions office — specif­i­cally from his admis­sions coun­selor, Aaron Tracey, ’14, and Sauer, then a student ambas­sador — aided his decision to come to Hillsdale, Lohman said.

“Aaron was very willing to help with every­thing,” Lohman said. “He also set me up with a really good student ambas­sador. I came here four times, and each time I came, I was with Matt Sauer. So each time I came here, I had a con­stant person that I saw every time, so it wouldn’t feel foreign.”

He said the intention to build a rela­tionship with him as a prospective student set Hillsdale apart from other liberal arts schools he was con­sid­ering.

As far as Miller knows, Hillsdale has never hired non-alumni admis­sions coun­selors, he said.

“I think it is a strength of our department,” Miller said. “We have our alumni speaking to our stu­dents and fam­ilies from per­sonal expe­rience.”

unspecified-4
Madison Berry joins the Hillsdale Admis­sions team after grad­u­ating in the spring of 2016 with a major in sports man­agement. Orig­i­nally from Indi­anapolis, Indiana, Madison spent four years as a key player on the Women’s Bas­ketball team, and looks forward to remaining in Hillsdale and working for the College. Madison will serve as a part-time Staff Assistant to the Field Recruitment and Oper­a­tions teams in the Admis­sions Office, taking over for Melissa Bowles, and over­seeing and exe­cuting a variety of duties. (Hannah Kwapisz / Col­legian)
unspecified-3
Jill Buccola grad­uated from Hillsdale College in 2013 with a B.A. in history and a minor in English lit­er­ature. She is orig­i­nally from Kenmore, WA. While on campus, Jill was active in Sigma Alpha Iota women’s music fra­ternity, the Honors Program, and Hillsdale Christian Fel­lowship. She also worked at the library and sang backup vocals for the student band, the Pickled Beats. Upon grad­u­ation, Jill taught high school history and lit­er­ature while coaching junior high football, bas­ketball, and track at a clas­sical charter school in Arizona. Prior to joining the Hillsdale College Admis­sions team, she earned her M.A. in history from the Uni­versity of Chicago. Jill will serve as Admis­sions Coun­selor for stu­dents from the Pacific Northwest and the upper middle section of the country, including WA, OR, WY, UT, CO, ND, SD, NE, and KS. (Hannah Kwapisz / Col­legian)
unspecified-2
Emily Oren is a native of Holland, Michigan and a 2016 graduate. Emily brings true Charger spirit to the Admis­sions team. While a student, Emily was the quin­tes­sential student athlete, com­pleting an Eco­nomics major while com­peting on Hillsdale College’s Cross Country and Track teams. It should be no sur­prise that two of her favorite activ­ities are running and reading. Emily led her team to a No. 1 NCAA Division II national ranking, is an eight-time All-American, a four-time National Champion, won the GLIAC Commissioner’s Award, and was the Division II National Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Emily will serve as Admis­sions Coun­selor for stu­dents from western and central Michigan. (Hannah Kwapisz / Courtesy)
unspecified
Matt Sauer hails from East Lansing, Michigan. He grad­uated in the spring of 2016 with a history major, Latin minor, and was both Out­standing Senior Man and Home­coming King. On campus, he par­tic­i­pated in the Honors Program, Phi Mu Alpha Sin­fonia Music Fra­ternity, Chamber Choir, Tower Players, and the Omicron Delta Kappa Lead­ership Hon­orary. Matt is eager to pre­serve the tra­di­tions and carry forth the legacy of his alma mater. He will serve as Admis­sions Coun­selor for stu­dents from the states of Indiana and Ohio. (Hannah Kwapisz / Col­legian)

Kathryn Bock is a 2015 graduate from Castle Pines, CO. During her time on campus, Kate held mul­tiple lead­ership posi­tions within her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma. She also worked as a student ambas­sador and par­tic­i­pated in many of Hillsdale College’s political orga­ni­za­tions while pur­suing her history major. Fol­lowing grad­u­ation, Kate moved to Wash­ington, D.C. to con­tinue her work at the College’s Allan P. Kirby, Jr. Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies, which remains her regional base of oper­ation. Kate will serve as Admis­sions Coun­selor for stu­dents from the north­eastern section of the country, including VA, MD, WV, D.C., DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, and ME. She will serve regionally from the Kirby Center in Wash­ington, D.C.