Construction outside Kendall Hall. Julie Havlak | Collegian

Construction of a new path recognizes increased traffic flow on campus — and student appreciation.

Development for a brick sidewalk that will acknowledge students who complete their 1844 Society pledge began Monday. Chief Administrative Officer Rich Péwé said the construction will be done by winter and support the increasing foot traffic from Mossey Library and the Grewcock Student Union to Kendall Hall.

“Students have been walking this path for several years, and it’s a well established path,” Péwé said. “It is so exciting to see students making a gift commitment, and I think the walk will be appreciated and heavily used.”

Members of the 1844 Society, which works to create stronger alumni networks, wanted a way to express their appreciation to the nearly 100 students who made financial commitments to Hillsdale College, Director of Alumni Engagement Colleen McGinness said. In the new 1844 Society Walk, each member who pays $18.44 per semester and then $184.40 within three years of graduation will receive a brick. The walk will match the bricks now making up the Alumni Walk in size and color.

“It is a daily reminder to students that we have so much to be thankful for at Hillsdale,” McGinness said. “It’s a remarkable statement to other generous donors, who see that the students they are supporting recognize the blessings they’ve received at Hillsdale.”

For each completed pledge, a brick will be inscribed with the student’s name, class year, and a message of choice under 15 characters.

Students said they think the sidewalk could be useful, though they expressed concerns about campus aesthetics.

“It takes away from the beauty of campus by adding more cement through a place where there’s already a lot of sidewalks,” senior Gabriela Wong said.

They also noted locations they felt had a greater need for sidewalk, specifically the dirt and woodchip path between Mary Randall Preschool and Howard Music Hall.

“There’s not as much space between where you are and where you need to go by Kendall as there is between the music building and the hill,” senior Amelia Stieren said. “In the summer and fall, it’s no problem, but it is a little bit tricky in the winter. I myself have fallen after choir, and I think they should consider installing a sidewalk.”

For now, it is the society’s walk being built with the hopes of growing appreciation for what the college has, McGinness said.

“The future strength and engagement of our alumni network hinges on students understanding the value of a lifelong partnership with the college,” she said.