Sophomore Beth Demske, junior Megan Michaelis, and senior Laura Crabtree work in the mail room in Grewcock Student Union. On-campus job openings are being pub­lished on Hand­shake, career ser­vices’ online platform. (Photo: Madeline Barry / Col­legian)

Applying for an on-campus job this year will be easy as clicking submit.

The career ser­vices office is working with student employers to sim­plify the job search process through Hand­shake, an online platform where stu­dents can apply for jobs, find intern­ships, and reg­ister for meetings with career ser­vices. The appli­cation aggre­gates available oppor­tu­nities and allows stu­dents to fill out their profile and upload their resume, using a standard form to help streamline applying for numerous posi­tions.

“For stu­dents, Hand­shake enables them to filter and view all on-campus student employment posi­tions, the job descrip­tions, desired skills and respon­si­bil­ities, and who the point of contact is,” John Quint, assistant director of career ser­vices, said via email. “We think having all of this infor­mation in one place will greatly improve the on-campus student employment expe­rience.”

Off-campus employers pre­vi­ously dom­i­nated Handshake’s job listings. Now, stu­dents can browse campus-wide openings from Bon Appétit Man­agement Company, the ath­letic department, mar­keting, and more. They can also see the pay rate and nec­essary job qual­i­fi­ca­tions. Stu­dents may submit their appli­cation right from the website.

“We received an over­whelm­ingly pos­itive response from the faculty and staff as we shared the new process for posting jobs on Hand­shake,” Quint said. “We expect full employer par­tic­i­pation within a few years.”

Many campus employers have already started the switch to Hand­shake. Aaron Tracey, assistant director of special projects in the admis­sions office, hires student ambas­sadors. Although he said using paper resumes was not dif­ficult, it was a system that could be improved.

“Hand­shake is helpful because every­thing is all in one place,” Tracey said. “It’s all digital.”

Having a central appli­cation system stream­lines appli­ca­tions for stu­dents, he added.

“They don’t have to submit all this infor­mation over and over again,” Tracey said. “They just have a profile within Hand­shake, so they can apply for more than one position easier.”

In the past, stu­dents found job oppor­tu­nities through campus-wide emails and fliers and by word-of-mouth.

“Aside from the financial aid office’s efforts, no official process for cre­ating, posting, or mar­keting jobs to stu­dents existed,” Quint said. “As a result, the infor­mation was frac­tured and stu­dents were often­times unaware of the available jobs on-campus.”

With the intro­duction of on-campus job listings to Hand­shake, stu­dents now have access to all available job listings. Stu­dents already employed on campus said they think this switch will make it easier for others to find the best jobs.

“I think it’s great they’re switching over to a stream­lined system,” said sophomore Ryan Kelly Murphy, who works in A.J.’s Café. “In this day and age, it’s harder to keep track of lots of loose papers. When everything’s elec­tronic, it’s more in-line with what our everyday lives are like.”

Hand­shake also has an iPhone appli­cation. But no matter how stu­dents access the system, it should make applying for a job easier, Quint said.

“The addition of on-campus student employment to Hand­shake should increase the activity and engagement on the platform,” Quint said. “We trust that the stu­dents will pick up Hand­shake quickly, if they haven’t already. They’re more tech-savvy than we are.”

Previous articleNew owner, same great taste
Next articleGoing Greek
Jordyn Pair
Jordyn Pair is from Milford, Michigan and plans to study Rhetoric and Public Address and Journalism. She has previously written for Spinal Column and The Madonna Herald, Madonna University's school newspaper. She enjoys writing, photography, and videography, as well as choir, martial arts, and blogging. She plans to pursue a career in journalism. email: jpair@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @jordynpair