A faculty woodwind quintet will perform in McNamara on Sunday. Andrew Sprung | Courtesy

The faculty woodwind quintet will perform their biannual concert at 7 p.m. on Sunday, April 24 in McNamara Rehearsal Hall. Tickets are not required.

The quintet is com­posed entirely of college faculty, including Lec­turers in Music Jaimie Wagner on flute, Kaycee Thomas on oboe, Andrew Sprung on clarinet, Alan Taplin on French horn, and Cynthia Duda-Pant on bassoon.

The program will include  the clas­sical Quintet Op. 71 by Beethoven, as well as con­tem­porary pieces — like David Maslanka’s Quintet for Winds No. 3 and Ingolf Dahl’s Allegro Arioso for Five Wind Instru­ments.

All except the Beethoven piece are non­standard works, pro­viding an inter­esting variety for the audience. Unlike the quintet’s fall concert, which fea­tured melodic works such as Barber’s “Summer Music,” this program fea­tures more aggressive, con­tem­porary works.

“Maslanka is new to all of us,” Duda-Pant said. “All of us have been playing in chamber groups for years, but this is the first time any of us has played this piece.”

Duda-Pant said the Maslanka piece, written by a popular living com­poser, is the instru­men­talists’ favorite on the program.

“We all wanted to do Maslanka,” Duda-Pant said. “We’ve been talking about it for over a year, and we decided that that would be the anchor.”

The instru­men­talists said they really enjoy their time together working on reper­toire for the concert.

“They’re so much fun to play with,” Duda-Pant said of her fellow ensemble members. “This was a chance for us all to be here on the same day and work together, and it’s helped our studios come together. It’s been really good for everybody for us to be here at the same time.”

This is the third year that a faculty woodwind quintet has been formed. The group began in 2014 with a per­for­mance that fea­tured a Francis Poulenc com­po­sition, and has per­formed once per semester ever since.

The quintet hopes to expand its fol­lowing in the future, with ten­tative plans to start giving children’s per­for­mances. Although the con­certs are well-attended by com­munity members, student atten­dance tends to be low, Duda-Pant said.

“We get more com­munity support than student support,” she said. “We’d love for that to change.”

Duda added that the faculty recital this Sunday gives stu­dents who don’t play wind instru­ments a great oppor­tunity to expe­rience a new kind of music from an excellent pro­fes­sional ensemble.