Though the Col­legian employs a staff full of editors, pho­tog­ra­phers, and writers to publish this news­paper every week, the paper would not exist without all of you.

It is on your accom­plish­ments, events, and con­tro­versies that the Col­legian reports. Fur­thermore, it is from all of you that we receive the infor­mation we need to write the articles that fill our pages.

Some­times we make mis­takes, but under­lying all we print is a ded­i­cation to reporting the best and truest infor­mation available — infor­mation made available by you, our sources.

Occa­sionally, a person or group will ask the Col­legian not to print a story or, in an attempt to accom­plish the same outcome, refuse to discuss infor­mation with a reporter at all.

Every week, the Col­legian works with sources to learn what’s hap­pening on campus. We often discuss infor­mation “off the record” when the reporter and source agree beforehand that the ensuing infor­mation cannot be used in the story.
We are willing to discuss these requests because our goal for the paper is to serve as an open forum of infor­mation that affected the com­munity in which we all par­tic­ipate. But our aims are higher than just pre­senting accurate infor­mation. We are invested members of the Hillsdale com­munity who care most of all for its well-being.

This phi­losophy man­i­fests itself in par­ticular things. If stu­dents commit crimes, our normal policy is to withhold their names in any­thing we report. We work with the admin­is­tration on sen­sitive stories to ensure that we do not put the college, which is tech­ni­cally our pub­lisher, in a pre­carious legal position.

To accom­plish this, the Col­legian some­times chooses not to publish a story, but in most instances, it is still best for the story to run. This recalls the original intent of fos­tering a free press in America.

Media serve as vehicles for ideas and infor­mation, at times con­flicting, through which society can form opinions that shape our com­mu­nities and country. Without an entity com­mitted to spreading true and good infor­mation, important ideas are either never dis­cussed or, perhaps worse yet, trans­formed into rumors with little sub­stance or con­sis­tency.

That last point holds special sig­nif­i­cance in Hillsdale, which is small, tight-knit, and talk­ative. If the Col­legian chooses not to cover a topic, stu­dents may talk about it anyway. Many will take to anonymous outlets like YikYak, which was prac­ti­cally designed to spread bad infor­mation.

We are invested in pro­viding our readers both in Hillsdale and across the country with the best pos­sible news­paper. We ask that you aid us in that endeavor.