Phone_charging_station_at_Newark_airport
Student Fed­er­ation approved a pro­posal from the Campus Improve­ments com­mittee to pur­chase a wall-mounted phone charging station for the Grewcock Student Union. Wiki­media Commons | Courtesy

During its final meeting April 22, Student Fed­er­ation approved $75,722 for next year, which included expen­di­tures for the senior class, student pub­li­ca­tions, planners, and the federation’s oper­ating budget.
Next year’s budget includes $60,782 for student pub­li­ca­tions; $5,000 for the senior class; $3,440 for Student Fed­er­ation to cover officer salaries, binders, and its end-of-the-semester dinner at Olivia’s Chop House; and $6,500 for planners for the student body.
“I’ve been a part of now four budgets for Student Fed­er­ation, and that was the cleanest one I’ve ever been a part of,” Alpha Tau Omega Rep. senior Tyler Warman said.
Student Fed­er­ation ended the aca­demic year with $31,370.08 in dis­cre­tionary funds remaining after spending $15,477.95.
The fed­er­ation approved two pro­posals April 22. Kappa Kappa Gamma Rep. sophomore Maria Theisen pre­sented the $325 pro­posal from the Campus Improve­ments com­mittee for a wall-mounted charging station for the Grewcock Student Union that is com­patible with Apple, Android, and other popular devices.
Junior Nikolai Dignoti requested $350 on behalf of the Shake­speare Society for the recent Shake­speare in the Arb per­for­mance of Macbeth. As the fight chore­o­g­rapher, he said the group needed to rent weapons to prevent injuries that would result in hos­pital trips and tetanus shots. This year, he reported, cast members only bruised each other.
Although rep­re­sen­ta­tives funded Shake­speare in the Arb’s request to cover renting the weapons, buying fake blood sup­plies, and ordering pizza for rehearsal ses­sions, they did not fund Mu Alpha’s $600 request for its annual pig roast held April 23.
Rep­re­sen­ta­tives adhered to the finance committee’s rec­om­men­dation of no funding since the orga­ni­zation received $200 for its jazz night and cur­rently has $6,500 on hand, though the men of Mu Alpha said they plan to use that money for house ren­o­va­tions.
The first club the fed­er­ation approved was the Active Clas­sical Lan­guages Club, which will revive the tra­dition of learning Latin and Greek through writing, lis­tening, and speaking, adding a dimension to learning a clas­sical lan­guage pre­vi­ously unavailable to stu­dents.
When pre­senting ACL, Pres­ident sophomore Brian Hall intro­duced himself as fitting two of the three stereo­types of classics stu­dents: rich, white, and male.
“You might think at first that we are really odd and weird, but actually, we’re not that weird,” he said. “We have two mil­lennia of history and tra­dition on our side.”
Hall also said the club will do more than just increase the nerdiness of members: It will make learning clas­sical lan­guages more effi­cient, democ­ratize the lan­guages, and help train future teachers. Learning will be more natural, fun, and inter­active, he said.
Meetings will occur in Latin and are open to all stu­dents inter­ested in learning. The club said it hopes to incor­porate spoken Greek once Pro­fessor of Greek Joseph Gar­njobst returns from his summer immersion program in Ithaca, Greece.
The fed­er­ation also approved the Outdoor Adven­tures Club — which freshmen Emma McCormick and Rosemary Pines, who opted for Birken­stocks and Tevas over dress shoes, pre­sented.
The two officers said the group will provide back­packing oppor­tu­nities for stu­dents who cannot afford flights home for the shorter fall and spring breaks. They said they are planning to organize back­packing trips to the Upper Peninsula and the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, respec­tively.
McCormick and Pines said they hope to expand to take groups cross-country skiing, canoeing, caving, climbing, and kayaking.
Although every trip will be open to all of campus, the club also will have dues and perks for members. Those who pay get free access to gear and dis­counted rates on trips.
After rep­re­sen­ta­tives dis­cussed all of their business, former Student Fed Pres­ident junior Christian Wiese swore in the new pres­ident, junior Joe Spica.
His first order of business was to use the phrase “it is the opinion of the chair” to support the $600 Olivia’s Chop House dinner Student Fed rep­re­sen­ta­tives have at the end of the semester. Inde­pendent Rep. sophomore Razi Lane opened up dis­cussion of its pro­priety and expense during the meeting’s public comment portion.
“What Student Fed is about is service, and a dinner at Olivia’s shouldn’t be what makes it worth it,” Lane said.
He rec­om­mended finding a less expensive restaurant in the future, adding that if he wasn’t on the board, real­izing rep­re­sen­ta­tives dined on his dime wouldn’t sit well with him or his per­ception of Student Fed.
“I know the board gets paid, but if the rep­re­sen­ta­tives were to add up all the hours, the dinner would be a fraction of that,” Student Fed­er­ation adviser Anthony Manno said.
But despite the debate, the meeting ended with words of grat­itude and hope for next year.
“I know that many stu­dents don’t know what we do here, and I know people that do know what we do here think that we don’t do it well, but I’m proud of what we’ve accom­plished so far this year and in years past,” Warman said. “I look forward to seeing what you guys do next year.”