Men's Tennis Vs. Daemen Feb 13, 2016

After a tough weekend, the Hillsdale College men’s tennis team came home with two losses.
On Sat­urday, the Chargers took a 9 – 0 loss at Wayne State Uni­versity in Detroit, and Sunday they took on Northwood in Midland, falling 8 – 1.
“We’re just not at that level this year yet,” head men’s tennis coach Keith Turner said. “It was pre­dictable what was going to happen, but the matches were closer than how they appeared in the final score. We made them work for it.”
Despite the losses, Turner said a number of players showed great improvement.
“John Ciraci played the best doubles he’s played all year. Both matches he and his partner did well, and were able to pull out a No. 2 win against Northwood, and Jerry Hewitt really showed some improvement all weekend.”
Ciraci said the team played well in doubles all around, and these matches were good expe­rience going into the coming weeks, during which pressure will stay high.
“We knew the pressure was really high, so I was trying to do every­thing I could to get a win for the team,” he said. “We played pretty well overall.”
Next weekend, the men will play Walsh Uni­versity and Tiffin Uni­versity at home, on the newly ded­i­cated courts.
“On paper they aren’t quite as strong, they should be a little bit closer match up,” Turner said. “We need to win at least two of the next three matches to make it to con­ference tour­na­ments.”
Before chris­tening the new outdoor courts on Sat­urday against Walsh Uni­versity at 1 p.m., the Chargers will ded­icate the courts to Mary Jane Delp. On Sunday, the Chargers will play at home again, playing Tiffin Uni­versity at 1 p.m.