The English Department organized a reading of the senior English major’s original poems at 7 p.m. in the Heritage Room. Forester McClatchey | Courtesy
The English Department orga­nized a reading of the senior English major’s original poems at 7 p.m. in the Her­itage Room. Forester McClatchey | Courtesy

Senior Forester McClatchey will deliver a public reading from his original poetry at 7 p.m. tonight in the Her­itage Room of Mossey Library.

The reading, open to all campus, is spon­sored by the English Department in honor of both McClatchey’s accom­plish­ments as a poet during his four years at Hillsdale and for his recent accep­tance to the Uni­versity of Florida’s master of fine arts program. McClatchey, a double major in English and art while at Hillsdale, will be studying at the uni­versity under the men­torship of poet and critic William Logan.

“Logan’s known for being very opin­ionated,” Assistant Pro­fessor of English Dutton Kearney, a mentor of McClatchey’s since freshman year, said. “But maybe that fits in with Forester’s per­son­ality,” he added with a laugh.

Kearney said he has watched McClatchey’s growth as a poet and English major with joy over the past four years, ever since he taught him in Great Books I during McClatchey’s freshman year. Some of the pieces McClatchey wrote during Kearney’s 400-level course in Con­tem­porary Christian Poetry last year ended up in his final appli­cation port­folio for the Uni­versity of Florida.

“I’ve seen a remarkable improvement over the past four years,” Kearney said of McClatchey’s prowess as a student of lit­er­ature and a poet. “He came in good and has become great — and on top of that, excellent. Moreover, he’s always main­tained his own interests and per­son­ality throughout it all.”