brother guy1
Brother Guy Con­sol­magno speaks in Markel Audi­torium April 13 on “Does Science Need God?” Con­sol­magno is the spring semester’s con­vo­cation speaker, scheduled for April 14.
Anders Kiledal | Col­legian

Brother Guy Con­sol­magno addressed the student body during Hillsdale’s biannual con­vo­cation cer­emony Thursday.

Con­sol­magno is a native of Detroit, Michigan, and earned his under­graduate and master’s degree from Mass­a­chu­setts Institute of Tech­nology, and his doc­torate in plan­etary science from the Uni­versity of Arizona. He served in the Peace Corps in Kenya and taught physics at Lafayette College before becoming a Jesuit in 1989.

In 2015, Pope Francis appointed him Director of the Vatican Obser­vatory, where he con­ducts research exploring the origin and structure of asteroids. His research has taken him to every con­tinent on Earth and has led him to publish more than 200 sci­en­tific pub­li­ca­tions.

In 2014, he received the Carl Sagan Medal from the American Astro­nomical Society Division for Plan­etary Sci­ences for excel­lence in public com­mu­ni­cation in plan­etary sci­ences.

Hillsdale College chose Con­sol­magno as this semester’s con­vo­cation speaker because of his harmony with the college’s mission.

“I first heard about Brother Guy when I gave a speech at the Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cog­nition,” Pres­ident Larry Arnn said in an email. “The founder, Ken Ford, knows Brother Guy well and praised him as a learned and inter­esting man.”

Consolmagno’s rep­u­tation pre­ceeded him, and it was apparent to Hillsdale’s lead­ership that he is sym­pa­thetic with the school’s purpose, Arnn said.

“He is a very dis­tin­guished aca­demic and an important figure in the Christian faith,” Arnn said.