Hospice bowl-a-thon will benefit music therapy program

Home City News Hospice bowl-a-thon will benefit music therapy program

The Hospice of Hillsdale will host its 22nd Annual Bow-A-Thon fundraising event on Saturday to raise money for its music therapy program. Part of the funds will be directed towards paying the Hospice’s music therapist, Erin Brewer.

Hospice of Hillsdale provides care for people and their families who are affected by terminal ill­nesses. Kitty Aemisegger, director of Hospice of Hillsdale, said that they usually raise $4,000 to $5,000 through this event.

The event is separated into two bowling time allotments. The first session, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., is hosted by the hospice; the National Honor Society from Hillsdale High School, hospice families, vol­unteers, and staff typ­ically bowl their two games at that time. After a group lunch at 12 p.m., the Hillsdale College bas­ketball team hosts the event from 1 – 3 p.m.

Aemisegger said that there are typically 8-10 teams that participate in the Bowl-A-Thon, and each team typically pledges $200. The event also attracts several corporate sponsors who pay for the bowling and the pizza lunch. Many local businesses also contribute to the fundraising event, some of which include The Udder Side, The Hunt Club, and Checker Records.

“The Hillsdale community is pretty involved in the event,” Aemisegger said, “but we would love to get the College more involved as well.”

Aemisegger said that they are designating the funds to the music therapy program because of the difference it has made in the Hospice patients’ lives.

“It’s a ministry,” Aemisegger said, “All the patients enjoy it immensely.”

Brewer meets with patients who were typically referred by a nurse or social worker, and works with them to develop five goals to work towards, whether they are physical, social, cognitive or emotional.

“I help provide insight and understanding to patients who desperately need it,” Brewer said, “They are always grateful for the visit.”