ci

What a beau­tiful week to be a Greek here at Hillsdale College. Or at least, I wish it were.

Greek Week is sup­posed to be a week where all members feel immense pride to be a part of the Greek com­munity. Instead, each house oozes with pride for its own sorority.

I am nor­mally a very Pan­hel­lenic person. I enjoy friend­ships in every house and avoid trash talking other girls
because they wear dif­ferent letters.

But during this one week, I feel the urge to paint my body blue, scream Kappa cheers from the top of Central Hall, pummel that darn Chi-O owl to a pulp, and snap the Pi Phi arrow over my knee. Perhaps it’s just my com­pet­itive side. Perhaps it’s the nature of Hillsdale College Greek Week.

Here at Hillsdale, you can always find assorted Chi Os and Pi Phis at the Kappa Kupcake Wars. I know the Pi Phis and Kappas wouldn’t miss Chi O’s pan­cakes for the world. But for Hillsdale Greeks, with three sorority houses and an average of only 70 girls par­tic­i­pating in formal recruitment each year, things get per­sonal as every house wants to make their favorite rushees into new sisters.

Rela­tion­ships are strained again during Derby Days as the soror­ities search couch cushions for every last penny to raise money for the Sigma Chis’ phil­an­thropic efforts. Agi­tation fills the air as women of all three houses are squished into crowded bleachers where they are forced to interact and be civil. But why is this so hard?

In reality, the houses on campus are all so obvi­ously similar. Chi Omega, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Pi Beta Phi are huge national orga­ni­za­tions, each with fan­tastic phil­an­thropic efforts and deep appre­ci­ation for tra­dition and ritual. Each house was created to promote womanly behavior, love, and sis­terhood. But somehow we forget to exercise these ideas with women outside of our spe­cific house.

It’s crucial that we remind our­selves of these many sim­i­lar­ities when ten­sions rise on Greek row. Espe­cially our most important sim­i­larity: We’re all Hillsdale College stu­dents. We all struggle through Western Her­itage, we all receive Bill Whorley’s email warnings, and we all cheer for the Chargers. We all chose Hillsdale and we all love Hillsdale. Isn’t that out­stand­ingly uni­fying? Shouldn’t that be enough?

Maybe it’s not.

It’s time that Greek Week underwent a couple of pos­itive changes. All Greek women could be mixed together, then sep­a­rated into three teams com­posed of women from each house. This alter­native would give women the chance to meet, play, and bond with women whom they might not know. A week where the letters come off means a week where the walls between the houses must come down.

And if the thought of mixing seems too extreme, maybe the Pan­hel­lenic council could rethink the events. Instead of throwing elbows during a bas­ketball game, we should be racing tri­cycles. Instead of strate­gizing how to win the vol­leyball game, we should be putting on a fashion show and raising ben­efits for charity. Greek Week has the potential to change, and the potential to improve — we just have to let it.