480px-Sir_Winston_S_Churchill
Hillsdale College is pub­lishing volumes one to 17 of “The Churchill Doc­u­ments” in e-book format. Wiki­media | Commons

Hillsdale College announced April 11 that it would publish volumes one to 17 of “The Churchill Doc­u­ments” as e-books. Each volume is available online for $9.99.
The price of the e-books are about 29 percent of the $35 cost of the print edi­tions, except volumes 17 and 18, which are $65 each in print.
“The Churchill Doc­u­ments” are a product of the Churchill Project, ran by Pres­ident and official biog­rapher of Winston Churchill Larry Arnn. Volumes 18 – 23, the final five Churchill doc­u­ments, will become available as e-books as the college pub­lishes them and con­verts them into the proper format.
“The digital pub­li­cation of this record presents an unpar­al­leled oppor­tunity to study how one of the most pow­erful and sig­nif­icant indi­viduals in history did his work and made his judg­ments,” Arnn said in a press release.
Research Assistant to the Pres­ident Soren Geiger said each volume has a three to six month delay after being pub­lished in print before it’s ready for release as an e-book.
“It’s incredibly prac­tical to publish ‘The Churchill Doc­u­ments’ as e-books,” Geiger said. “They weigh a total of 90 pounds, which is as much as four car tires.”
Geiger said pub­lishing the doc­u­ments as e-books now is important so that the college holds the rights for the elec­tronic form of “The Churchill Doc­u­ments.” Churchill’s family could have given the rights to publish the e-books to another had Hillsdale College let the oppor­tunity go.
Con­verting each volume to e-book format is a painstak­ingly delib­erate process, Geiger said.
“No system can rec­ognize each char­acter on a flat PDF better than what the human eye can do,” Geiger said. “It takes line by line reading and proof­reading, making sure all the spacing and char­acters are cor­rectly rec­og­nized.”
Releasing the e-books created a great tool for Churchill scholars but is only a small part of what the Churchill Project wants to accom­plish. Volumes of text, telegrams, and letters are sitting in boxes, waiting for tran­scription and pub­li­cation.
“Thank­fully, the subject of the work is the most fas­ci­nating man of the 20th century,” Geiger said. “There’s a lot of laughter and sto­ry­telling from our team as we’re working on reading these doc­u­ments.”