Track Team Photos-54 (deleted 3f5f755057c10f39ec7ee9f4b06e1b1f)

Caleb Gatchell is a junior from Red Lion, Penn­syl­vania, majoring in accounting and math­e­matics. He runs on Hillsdale’s track and field and cross-country teams.

What’s been your favorite part about running track at Hillsdale?
Def­i­nitely the friends I’ve been able to make on the team. When you’re a dis­tance runner you log a lot of miles with your training partners on the back roads, and we’ve become pretty close as a result.

What made you choose to attend Hillsdale?
Def­i­nitely the aca­d­emics. I loved that I was sur­rounded by stu­dents who actually engaged with the material and tried to learn from it and apply it to their daily lives, instead of sitting back and ingesting material merely to regur­gitate it back onto a test. I came here to be a student, and it’s been a blessing to be able to run track as well.

How has your involvement in ath­letics impacted your aca­d­emics?
It’s forced me to learn how to manage my time. I don’t have time that could be spent on homework or could be spent doing some­thing fun. I know that from 7:00 to 11:00 each night I have to be doing homework, and then I need to be in bed, or else I won’t be able to perform at the level I need to be able to.

What are some of your ath­letic ambi­tions going into next year?
I think it’s been 16 years since we’ve had a men’s cross-country team qualify for nationals. Next year will be my senior year, and I’d really love to be a part of the class that gets us back there.

What ini­tially drew you to run track? How long have you been running?
I’ve always loved to run, but until my junior year of high school I was chasing a ball. I switched from soccer to cross-country and track that year though, and I haven’t looked back since. As much as I still love soccer, I can’t say I made the wrong decision. I can hon­estly say I love running and look forward to practice almost every day, and God has blessed me with a fair amount of success.

Do you have any plans fol­lowing your grad­u­ation next year?
I have an internship this summer that I’m hoping will translate into a job offer, and then I’ll also be working on passing the CPA exam.

What are some of your interests outside of ath­letics and aca­d­emics?
I love fishing and wood­working— scroll sawing to be spe­cific.

In what moment were you most proud to be a part of Hillsdale’s track team?
Probably after our DMR fin­ished sixth at indoor nationals this past season. We had a freshman, a sophomore, a junior, and a senior on that relay so I think it spoke to how far the upper­classmen have come since our freshman year when we were barely top-six at GLIACs, and to the direction the program is headed.