BowlingAlley

Lane 17, Hillsdale

Hillsdale’s best burger is as humble as the restaurant it resides in. Located inside Hillsdale Lanes bowling alley, Lane 17 is a modest sports pub serving tra­di­tional bar food with American beers on tap. While the decor is simple — walls filled with beer signs and the occa­sional flat screen tele­vision — it is fitting for the out­standing “Classic Chees­burger” that high­lights the menu.

“The Classic Chees­burger” at Lane 17 appeals to college stu­dents and locals alike with striking appearance, taste, and quality at an affordable price. Cus­tomers can enjoy the one-third of a pound, hand formed, all-beef burger patty, covered in your choice of American, cheddar, pepper jack, or swiss cheese, served on a kaiser roll with a side of chips for a mere $6. In an age of expensive artisan burgers, the “Classic Cheese­burger” stands out with excep­tional taste and none of the pre­ten­tiousness.

Addi­tional top­pings and options for the burger are limited, which is com­pletely acceptable. This simple burger doesn’t need all the fixings, so they don’t offer them. While the kaiser roll is a suf­fi­cient vessel for the well-done beef patty, the option of enjoying it on a pretzel bun for just 50 cents more should not be ignored. The burger has a fan­tastic taste, but the subtle salt flavors of the pretzel bun tipped it over the edge, making it the perfect sandwich of bar nos­talgia. You can make it a deluxe with onions, lettuce, and tomato for just 40 cents more, or you can add another one-third pound beef patty for just $2 more.

Next time the burger craving hits you, stop by Lane 17 for the “Classic Cheese­burger” on a pretzel bun. And, if you’re not too full, ten frames of bowling.

1. The Udder Side, Jonesville
  2. Coney’s and Swirls, Hillsdale
  3. The Hunt Club, Hillsdale
  4. Here’s To You Pub & Grub, Hillsdale
Previous articleBest of Hillsdale- Best Dinner Date
Next articleArt Around Town hopes to promote local business
Thomas Novelly
Collegian Editor-in-Chief, Thomas Novelly was born in Novi, Michigan, but was raised in Franklin, Tennessee, making him a self-proclaimed "Yankee gone South." Thomas began writing for The Collegian as a sophomore, and since has served as a reporter, columnist, and Assistant City News Editor. He has also worked for two major publications, interning at the Washington Free Beacon in D.C. and The Tennessean in Nashville. His work has been seen in National publications such as CBS News, National Review Online, Stars And Stripes, and USA Today. Follow him on Twitter @TomNovelly.