Actor Robert Hardy to return to Hillsdale

Home Culture Actor Robert Hardy to return to Hillsdale
Actor Robert Hardy to  return to Hillsdale
Actor Robert Hardy, shown here speaking at the Winston Churchill CCA last fall, returns to campus next week to deliver a public lecture and a master class in acting. Collegian | Courtesy

The opportunity to meet Robert Hardy at last fall’s Winston Churchill CCA delighted many students. Next week, a second chance will arise for those that missed out the first time, as he will return to campus to deliver a lecture and teach a master class. The lecture will be held at 8 p.m. next Wednesday in Markel Auditorium, and the master class at 7 p.m. next Thursday in the Quilhot Black Box at the Sage Center for the Arts.

The English actor, perhaps best known for his role as Cornelius Fudge in the “Harry Potter” films, has appeared in 137 films and had an illustrious career in live theater.

“If anybody is qualified to come here and speak on what

it’s like to come here and speak on what it’s like to be an actor in the professional world, then it has to be him,” Professor of Theatre George Angell said.

Hardy, a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, is also a respected historian. According to Angell, Hardy’s Wednesday night lecture will reveal how he blended his career as a historian and an actor.

“We don’t even have a title for his talk yet, but we are delighted to have him here,” Angell said. “It is a resource of a very high order for our students to be able to meet somebody who has had a very successful career in a very difficult business.”

Hardy’s acting workshop will focus on speeches from Shakespeare’s “Hamlet.”

“I am looking forward to this as much as anybody,” Angell said. “Anybody with that much experience has something to teach everybody.”

Angell said he assumes most attendees will have an interest in theater, but both events are open to the public. He urges all to attend.

“It is always worthwhile to hear about how other people make their way through difficult circumstances — and certainly his connection between history, film, and acting speaks for itself,” Angell said.