Actor Robert Hardy, shown here speaking at the Winston Churchill CCA last fall, returns to campus next week to deliver a public lecture and a master class in acting. Collegian | Courtesy
Actor Robert Hardy, shown here speaking at the Winston Churchill CCA last fall, returns to campus next week to deliver a public lecture and a master class in acting. Col­legian | Courtesy

The oppor­tunity to meet Robert Hardy at last fall’s Winston Churchill CCA delighted many stu­dents. Next week, a second chance will arise for those that missed out the first time, as he will return to campus to deliver a lecture and teach a master class. The lecture will be held at 8 p.m. next Wednesday in Markel Audi­torium, and the master class at 7 p.m. next Thursday in the Quilhot Black Box at the Sage Center for the Arts.

The English actor, perhaps best known for his role as Cor­nelius Fudge in the “Harry Potter” films, has appeared in 137 films and had an illus­trious career in live theater.

“If anybody is qual­ified to come here and speak on what

it’s like to come here and speak on what it’s like to be an actor in the pro­fes­sional world, then it has to be him,” Pro­fessor of Theatre George Angell said.

Hardy, a Fellow of the Society of Anti­quaries, is also a respected his­torian. According to Angell, Hardy’s Wednesday night lecture will reveal how he blended his career as a his­torian and an actor.

“We don’t even have a title for his talk yet, but we are delighted to have him here,” Angell said. “It is a resource of a very high order for our stu­dents to be able to meet somebody who has had a very suc­cessful career in a very dif­ficult business.”

Hardy’s acting workshop will focus on speeches from Shakespeare’s “Hamlet.”

“I am looking forward to this as much as anybody,” Angell said. “Anybody with that much expe­rience has some­thing to teach everybody.”

Angell said he assumes most attendees will have an interest in theater, but both events are open to the public. He urges all to attend.

“It is always worth­while to hear about how other people make their way through dif­ficult cir­cum­stances — and cer­tainly his con­nection between history, film, and acting speaks for itself,” Angell said.