Trump

While 58 percent of Hillsdale stu­dents believe that GOP front-runner Donald Trump will be selected as the 2016 Repub­lican pres­i­dential nominee, only 35 percent say they plan to vote for him in the November general elec­tions.
Out of more than 300 stu­dents who par­tic­i­pated in a Col­legian poll con­ducted this week, 25 percent plan to vote for a dif­ferent party’s can­didate, while 14 percent will write in another can­didate rather than vote for Trump if he becomes the GOP nominee.
Eighteen percent of poll respon­dents said they are not sure how they will vote in November, and eight percent plan not to vote in November if Trump becomes the Repub­lican nominee.
“If Trump is the nominee, I will support a third party con­ser­v­ative can­didacy,” sophomore American Studies major Michael Luc­chese said. “I believe Donald Trump is unfit for the Pres­i­dency, and I morally cannot vote for him. Ulti­mately, each voter has to look them­selves in the mirror the next day. Don’t do some­thing you find dis­hon­orable.”
While many con­sider a Trump pres­i­dency as some­thing to be avoided, some said they will cast their ballots for the bil­lionaire to prevent a Democrat from taking the White House.
“If Donald Trump becomes the GOP nominee, I will use my one vote for him and use my feet to solicit more,” senior pol­itics major Christy Allen said, who added that the Supreme Court seats the next pres­ident will fill are one of her chief con­cerns.
“Trump’s sug­ges­tions for who he would pick to fill spots are just fine,” Allen said. “Democrats will assuredly nom­inate liberal ide­o­logical rad­icals if given the chance. Trump is not my ideal can­didate, but I care too much about those SCOTUS seats to even con­sider not sup­porting him as the nominee.”
Others say they will support Trump for the sake of the Repub­lican party.
“As the current pres­ident of the Hillsdale College Repub­licans, I, along with our chapter as a whole, have the oblig­ation to support the GOP nominee as a branch of the Repub­lican Party,” College Repub­licans Pres­ident Brant Cohen said. “If Donald Trump wins the nom­i­nation, I have not decided whether I will per­sonally fully support his can­didacy or not. I will most likely support Donald Trump if he wins the nom­i­nation but more as a means to prevent the Demo­c­ratic can­didate.”
Trump is the widely-rec­og­nized front-runner for the GOP nom­i­nation. Of the 1,237 del­e­gates needed to secure the nom­i­nation out­right, Trump has won 736. Sen. Ted Cruz, R‑Texas, has won 463, and Ohio Gov. John Kasich has 143.
The next major Repub­lican primary is in Wis­consin on April 5. New York will follow on April 19. Voters in Con­necticut, Delaware, Penn­syl­vania, Maryland, and Rhode Island will cast their ballots on April 26.