2015.10.01.tutors.fry_012

Katie Kor­te­peter, English and French

What essay-writing blunder do you find yourself fixing most often in your own papers, and how do you tackle that blunder?
It’s hard for me to start the writing process if I don’t have my thoughts sorted out yet. Even if I’m not sure that my ideas are coherent, I some­times need to force myself to just start writing and then heavily edit later.
What piece of writing advice do you find yourself giving most often when tutoring?
Don’t panic, and do visit your pro­fessor every once in a while.
Best class taken thus far at Hillsdale and why?
My Speaking and Writing French class has been delightful. The pro­fessor is kind and encour­aging, I’m learning a lot, and my class­mates and I enjoy it so much that we leave Delp every day still speaking French. Also, the comfy swivel chairs are mag­nifique.
Favorite movie?
“Anne of Green Gables.”

2015.10.01.tutors.fry_0014 (2)

Rebekah Basinger, English

This is a typical blunder, but I always struggle with forming my thesis. It takes a long time for me to come up with a cogent argument. There’s no easy fix for this beyond drafting and revising.
I’m fairly certain that “topic sen­tence” is the most common phrase spoken in the Writing Center. The goal is not to edit or proofread papers, but to help stu­dents become better writers, which means talking to them about how to approach writing a paper.
What is the best class taken thus far at Hillsdale and why?
The two most trans­for­mative classes for me have probably been Restoration and Romantic British Lit­er­ature with Dr. Eadie (now Murphy) and Cal­culus with Dr. Gaebler.
What is your favorite movie?
I don’t really have a favorite. I just like movies with inter­esting plots. Movies that I have really enjoyed range from “Black Hawk Down” to “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.”