Studio 55 ‘brings princesses to life’

Home City News Studio 55 ‘brings princesses to life’
Studio 55 ‘brings princesses to life’

P

To the delight of about 50 girls and their parents, dance instructors and employees transformed Hillsdale’s Studio 55 into a magical forest with twinkling lights, dancing, princesses, and pizza as part of the studio’s Princess Night on March 11.

Erin Reinker, office manager and hair and makeup stylist, orchestrated Princess Night, a fundraiser for Studio 55. The revenue from the $25 per child fee will help purchase new equipment, which this year includes smoke machines and tumbling mats, due to a growing tumbling program.

For two and a half hours, the attendees learned a dance to “Let It Go,” made crafts, received makeovers, completed an obstacle course, and listened to princess stories. The studio’s dance instructors, dressed as Disney princesses Belle, Jasmine, Merida, and other fairy tale characters, ran stations and shepherded the girls through them. Halfway through the magical night, the princesses feasted on pizza, carrots, cookies, and chips.

Six-year-old Cheyenne tried to remember how many times she has come. “I can’t remember which time it is,” she said. “Maybe my 10th time!”

Normally, the studio hosts the event near Valentine’s Day. Reinker said one reason it occurred later this year was because she was unsure if there would be enough interest. But parents began asking about the event as much as their girls.

“I think it’s wonderful that they’re bringing princesses to life,” parent Megan Griffiths said. “Last year I walked away with my daughter beaming, saying ‘Mom, I saw Elsa.’ It was like she was in another world.” Griffiths brought her 5-year-old daughter this year as well, who, she said, was in heaven once she saw Princess Jasmine.

“They’ve got it down,” Jeannie Becker, another mother, said. “For two and a half hours, they do a lot of work to put it together. I hope they do it every year.”

In addition to creating a fairy-tale world for young girls, Princess Night grants the parents’ wishes for a safe environment for their children to play for two and a half hours. According to Reinker, parents appreciate the evening because they have a night to themselves.

“We’re going to eat Chinese food and hang out in downtown,” grandmother Shelly Ebstathiou said.

Before parent Wendi Graham began volunteering with the craft portion of the night, she said Princess Night meant date night for her and her husband because they knew their daughter would be well taken care of by the studio.

“I felt safe dropping her off,” Graham, also the studio’s custodian, said. “They take care of these kids so wonderfully.”

On Princess Night, the young dancers are encouraged to invite their friends, Graham said, which increases involvement in the studio. Reinker said the girls who dance at the studio come from quite a few schools and all different backgrounds. The diverse range of girls reflects the united appreciation from parents for the studio’s modest costumes and safe environment.

Halfway through her piece of pizza, six-year-old Veronica said she doesn’t get to dress up often, so Princess Night is the perfect time.  

Hillsdale College junior Emily Swanson, who portrayed Princess Merida from the Disney Pixar film “Brave,” said she appreciates that the studio provides a safe environment for community  kids to have fun.

Best friends Kayla and Emma stopped spinning in circles long enough to answer their favorite parts about Princess Night.

Without hesitating, Kayla said, “Eating cookies and stuff!” Emma threw her hands in the air and said, “Doing whatever we want!”