The women of Sigma Alpha Iota will perform their spring concert at 8 p.m. this Sunday, April 3 in McNamara Rehearsal Hall in the Howard Music Building. Flickr Creative Commons | Courtesy
The women of Sigma Alpha Iota will perform their spring concert at 8 p.m. this Sunday, April 3 in McNamara Rehearsal Hall in the Howard Music Building. Flickr Cre­ative Commons | Courtesy

Sigma Alpha Iota plans on whisking audience members to distant lands with exciting musical per­for­mances cen­tering around the theme “adventure” at 8 p.m. this Sunday, April 3 in McNamara Rehearsal Hall in the Howard Music Building.

Almost half of the active members of SAI are seniors and the concert is intended to cel­e­brate the adven­tures they will have once they graduate.

According to SAI senior Faith Liu, the per­for­mance will also be a thrilling expe­rience for the audience. Liu, SAI’s Program Director, said the audience shouldn’t expect typical instru­men­tation.  She indi­cated guest appear­ances from instru­ments such as harp, accordion, and a guzheng, a tra­di­tional Chinese zither.

“It’s not going to be your standard guitar and two people singing all the time,” she said. “It’s a bit expanded.”

This musical expansion offers audi­ences a wide range of genres. Liu has written an arrangement that will be sung by the ladies of SAI accom­panied by a string quartet and piano. Along with group per­for­mances, there are indi­vidual acts spanning the range of musical styles. Liu said, “We’ve got a lot of pop song ren­di­tions, we’ve got Broadway, we’ve got film sound­tracks. We’ve got tons of stuff.”

Everyone is invited to attend SAI’s adven­turous musical per­for­mance.

“Def­i­nitely get there early because we fill up super fast, and we always end up filling way more than we have space for,” Liu cau­tioned. “We’re going to break a fire code!”