Market House owner Brett Boyd said he loves giving back to the com­munity by pro­viding produce, dairy and baked goods to local fundraisers and char­ities. Giving back is a family legacy, he said, ever since the local grocery company was founded 75 years ago.
“My great grand­father started the company and giving back to the com­munity was huge for him, and he passed that down as a Market House tra­dition,” Boyd said. “Hope­fully we’ll be doing it for another 75 years. When you call the store, if you’re a non­profit group or charity you can let us know and we’ll help you.”
Every month, local char­ities and fundraising groups mail letters to Market House requesting assis­tance, and Boyd reviews them with Market House employee Jan Hutchin. Boyd said he rarely says “no.”
“Last year we con­tributed to 12 dif­ferent char­ities, including Sal­vation Army, the Humane Society, and the Hospice of Hillsdale County,” Boyd said. “We have a lot of groups we con­tribute to every month. We donate to the local food banks and Sal­vation Army on a weekly basis, King’s Kup­board in par­ticular. We recently gave a large donation to them.”
Hutchin clar­ified that Market House does not give mon­etary dona­tions, but gives directly from Market House stock.
“If a group is doing an event for the benefit of a member of the com­munity, like a spaghetti dinner, we’ll provide the sauce and spaghetti,” Hutchin said. “We do fundraisers for them too: we’ve had churches out here selling candy bars for mission trips, and a family Relay for Life team holds a bake sale on Good Friday here every year.”
A local 4‑H group hosts a hot dog sale at Market House every year, and Hutchin said Market House pro­vides the condi­ments, cups, and hot dogs for a low cost.
Boyd’s char­i­table spirit appears to have per­meated his entire business: Market House does not make a profit from helping local char­ities and fundraising groups, so even though the store does not always provide its inventory to fundraisers for free, it is still con­sidered a donation. Some­times local res­i­dents will set up a fundraiser for another sick res­ident in need of medical funds, and Market House often assists with those fundraisers.
“Because of the needs of the com­munity we’ve tried to doubly support them because they support us,” Hutchin said. “We want them to make money, so it’s more of a donation from us.”
King’s Kup­board Director Kristin Lucas said she picks up produce, dairy and baked goods from Market House two to three times a week. She said this makes a big impact since King’s Kup­board is open only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
“I don’t think it’s a large per­centage of our inventory, but it’s produce and we like people to have healthy food and it’s fresh,” Lucas said. “Some of our other food is a little more limited, and people get a certain number of items based on the number of people in their fam­ilies.”
Lucas said King’s Kup­board also buys food from Market House once a month, which varies depending on the food pantry’s budget, which is dependent on char­i­table dona­tions from the com­munity. But Lucas said the com­munity, like Market House, is con­sis­tently gen­erous.
“Checks come in all the time from all over the com­munity,” Lucas said. “We usually do a mailing once a year and our church members help, but we have a small church so it’s really a whole com­munity effort.”

Previous articleOut of 801 felonies, none went to jury
Next articleDon’t leave your ATM receipt behind
Kate Patrick
Since she sold her soul to journalism, history major and Associate Editor Kate Patrick has covered business, the tech industry, city council, and city news in Washington, D.C.; Dayton, Ohio; Rockford, Illinois; and Hillsdale, Michigan. She creates extensive rock playlists and investigates abandoned buildings in her spare time. email: kpatrick@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @katepatrick_