Today, 40 clas­sical schools from 22 states are seeking seniors who can be to the stu­dents in their schools what Hillsdale pro­fessors have been to Hillsdale grad­uates.

Seniors who become clas­sical school teachers do not abandon the col­legial com­munity they were a part of at Hillsdale. While their roles and cast­mates do change, they con­tinue to be a part of an asso­ci­ation united by shared com­mit­ments to the tran­scen­dentals, to liberal learning, and to the western tra­dition.

Hillsdale’s liberal edu­cation aims beyond the utility of learning to the devel­opment of the whole indi­vidual. It is an edu­cation for virtue and the pursuit of the true and the good, grateful for the beau­tiful found in the world. The foun­dation of that edu­cation is the rela­tionship stu­dents have not just with each other, but with their teachers. This holistic schooling must be modeled.

The clas­sical school com­mitment to the trivium of grammar, logic, and rhetoric, to great texts and great ideas, edu­cates the whole person in like manner. And like the pro­fessors at Hillsdale, clas­sical school teachers wear the passion for these per­manent things, for lessons well learned and living well, that they hope their stu­dents will put on.

Hillsdale stu­dents have expe­ri­enced this same method of learning and teaching through their time in college that they will use teaching in clas­sical schools. The rela­tionship between Hillsdale student and pro­fessor is one of men­torship, a rela­tionship wherein the student learns to love the loves of the teacher.

With the college’s rejection of federal funding and the inde­pen­dence of clas­sical and private schools from the influence of the common core and other reg­u­la­tions, each has the freedom to pursue this phi­losophy of edu­cation.

The Hillsdale minor in clas­sical edu­cation is a tes­tament to the college’s com­mitment to this whole-person schooling. There is no edu­cation program sep­a­rating the content of what is taught from the manner in which is taught or the char­acter of the teacher.

As stu­dents turn in resumes today, they can take comfort in the fact that these schools, even thou­sands of miles away, are part of the same tra­dition as their alma mater. And they can be con­fident that in their rela­tion­ships with their pro­fessors they have learned to teach and model a liberal edu­cation.