Hillsdale College may be a tiny school in the middle-of-nowhere Michigan, but mil­lions of people from across the nation have dis­covered the mission of the college because of Hillsdale College Press.
In 1974, the Hillsdale College Press pub­lished its first book — the first volume of “Cham­pions of Freedom,” which was a col­lection of speeches from the first Ludwig von Mises Lecture Series, held on campus in January 1974. Since then, the press has gone on to publish mate­rials such as our course readers for classes such as Western Her­itage, American Her­itage, and Con­sti­tution. The books are printed off-campus at book printers located in the Ann Arbor-Saline area.
“Current Hillsdale College Press pub­li­ca­tions include course readers, the official biog­raphy of Winston S. Churchill, and our ‘Cham­pions of Freedom’ series. Other books still in print include books by Pres­ident Arnn and Pro­fessor Emeritus of History Arlan Gilbert, and two Imprimis anniversary col­lec­tions,” Asso­ciate Vice Pres­ident for External Affairs Timothy Caspar said.
The Hillsdale College Press is a limited oper­ation. Although many of our pro­fessors publish books, they do not do so through the Hillsdale College Press, but through larger aca­demic and com­mercial pub­lishers.
“It is not a tra­di­tional aca­demic press,” Caspar said, “The press does not seek out books to publish. Nor does it accept man­u­script sub­mis­sions.”
The two ongoing series of books that the press has pub­lished are Pres­ident Arnn’s official Churchill biog­raphy series and “Champion of Freedom” series. These series have reached the shelves of hun­dreds of book­stores across the nation, further spreading the aim of the college. Many people outside the college also pur­chase the course readers, both directly and through Amazon.
Imprimis is another pub­li­cation released by the college, though it its own entity. Pub­lished ten times a year, Imprimis arrives in the mail­boxes of nearly 3.5 million homes, in hopes that they will support the College and its mission.
“Imprimis is usually an insert of dif­ferent speakers’ speeches, whether they were on campus or not,” List Man­agement Coor­di­nator for Imprimis Wanda Oxenger said. “It pub­lishes the type of speakers and mes­sages that the college likes to pub­licize,” Over the past few years, Imprimis has reached a growing number of people who support the mission of Hillsdale College.
“It appeals to those who agree with its con­ser­v­ative message,” Oxenger said, “espe­cially since that’s not often heard. People either love it or hate it. There’s no in-between.”
The press is being used pri­marily to publish the official Churchill biog­raphy col­lection.
“The main work of the press cur­rently is to com­plete pro­duction of the official Churchill biog­raphy, and to keep all of the volumes of that biog­raphy in print,” Vice Pres­ident for External Affairs Douglas Jeffrey said. “There are no plans to expand oper­a­tions of the press.”
As with all of the College’s activ­ities, the Hillsdale College Press is meant to further the teaching mission of the college. Through the pub­li­cation of the Churchill biog­raphy col­lection and our course readers, the press, in part, spreads the recip­ients of Hillsdale’s intel­lectual tra­dition from 1,400 stu­dents to 3.5 million house­holds.

Previous articleSenior pursues graduate degree in screenwriting
Next articleCAMPUS CHIC: Sam Grinis
Kaylee McGhee
Kaylee McGhee is a junior at Hillsdale College, majoring in Politics with a minor in Journalism. This is her third year writing for the Collegian and served as last semester's City News Editor. Kaylee is currently studying in Washington D.C., where she works for the Weekly Standard and contributes to the Collegian as our D.C. correspondent. Kaylee has also worked as an editorial intern for the Detroit News. Follow her on Twitter: @kmcghee04 email: kmcghee@hillsdale.edu