Campus Rec holds Archery Tag for first time Saturday

Home News Campus Rec holds Archery Tag for first time Saturday

archery tag

Hillsdale College’s Campus Rec will hold games of Archery Tag Saturday.

Wikimedia Commons | Courtesy

For the first time, Hillsdale College’s Campus Rec is holding Archery Tag Saturday, March 12.

Students will shoot non-lethal arrows at each other in the Biermann Athletics Center from 1-5 p.m. The games are free, and participants do not need to sign-up beforehand.

“I think people appreciate an open style because there is no commitment,” Director of Student Affairs Anthony Manno said. “Students can come at any time within a four hour window to experience a unique form of recreation. It allows students to exercise and have fun without feeling any type of commitment pressure.”

Archery Tag is similar to dodgeball, according to Archery Tag’s website. Two teams of five people launch foam-tipped arrows at the opposing team’s players to remove them from the game. The winners are the last standing. Teammates can bring back those who are out by hitting targets on the opposite side of the arena space or by catching flying arrows.

Junior Daniel Cody introduced the sport to the college through his position at SAB.

“Archery Tag is a completely unique event that combines the simple game structure of dodgeball with the strategy of paintball, all while giving students a chance to shoot a bow,” Cody said in an email.

It also exposes students to the sport of archery, Cody added.

“This may provide some students with their first opportunity to handle a bow,” Cody said, “and for those with experience, it may be their first opportunity to take aim at their friends — with a foam tipped arrow.”