Bon Appétit Man­agement Company is looking for chefs, dish­washers, and a salaried employee to fill recent vacancies at Hillsdale College.

Since January, “several” employees have left Bon Appétit to move onto other oppor­tu­nities, General Manager Dave Apthorpe said. With a high volume of patrons during meal­times, Bon Appétit is looking for some extra hands.

“We’ve cer­tainly had some turnover,” Apthorpe said. “I know other accounts in our region have similar chal­lenges. I’m not sure there are any internal and external factors pushing on that.”

In January, a salaried employee left Bon Appétit for another job, leaving a position vacant for someone who has expe­rience in high-volume and inde­pendent restaurant service. Jobs opened for four dish­washers and chefs with expe­rience, as well.

Apthorpe said he was unsure why the employees recently left the man­agement company.

“College dining can be dif­ficult to staff because of the summer layoff,” Apthorpe said.

The cafe­teria serves cus­tomers from Sep­tember to May, but there is not enough work for all its employees during the summer months.

Apthorpe also pointed to the improving economy as a pos­sible reason some workers have left for new posi­tions.

“As we see the economy adding more jobs, this is sort of an entry-level job for many people, so the pay is com­men­surate with that,” Apthorpe said.

During the winter months espe­cially, illness tends to take people off work, Apthorpe added. He said having more employees helps cover for instances when people cannot come to work and keeps cafe­teria-goers healthy.

Addi­tionally, several current workers are in the midst of training for dif­ferent posi­tions as Bon Appétit looks to better manage its service, Dining Room Super­visor Stacey Rossen said.

“We want to a build a better staff and make better food,” Rossen said. “That’s our goal — to serve stu­dents quickly and have them come hungry and leave full.”

Several stu­dents told the Col­legian that they have noticed long lines recently, espe­cially at lunchtime.

“It’s kind of annoying,” freshman Eliz­abeth Laux said. “But I know they’re doing their best.”

Rossen said lunch on Monday and Wednesday is the dining hall’s busiest time. Between noon and 12:30 p.m., 500 patrons enter the cafe­teria — half of the cus­tomers for that meal.

During this peak time, Bon Appétit has all hands on deck, including its salaried staffers.

Rossen and Apthorpe will assist with serving patrons at the station counters.

“My job is to supervise the dining room,” Rossen said. “It’s easier for us to help out than ask someone else and have two posi­tions unfilled…I like helping; we try to show that we do care.”

Rossen added that Bon Appétit always is looking for student employees to help. In par­ticular, she said, it would like a second student baker to make cookies one evening each week to serve at lunch the fol­lowing day.

“Student employees are a huge help,” Rossen said. “They just step up, and they’re willing to provide a hand.”

Appli­ca­tions for all posi­tions are available in the Bon Appétit kitchen and office down the hall from the College Book­store in the Grewcock Student Union. The food service company also is adver­tising its open posi­tions on career web­sites, including Indeed, and is looking into pur­chasing adver­tise­ments in the local news­papers.

Bon Appétit also requires appli­cants go through a back­ground check.

Apthorpe said he does not know when Bon Appétit will have the new hires.

“We’ll fill them as soon as we find suitable can­di­dates,” Apthorpe said.