In response to the last week’s snow­storm, A Few Good Men shoveled and plowed both dri­veways and parking lots  to “see the need, meet the need,” despite the 8 inches of snow.
They sent out groups of stu­dents twice in the past two weeks for to snow­falls that swept through Hillsdale.
A Hillsdale College Goal Program, A Few Good Men reaches out to assist those in need throughout  Hillsdale County.  A special branch of A Few Good Men called Snow Assault Lead Team, or SALT, extends this out­reach and exists solely for emer­gency response to snow­storms.
Four teams headed out into the snow last Wednesday and Thursday  to shovel and plow for com­munity members and local parking lots of out­reach groups like Alpha Omega and the Youth Center.
Sophomore Chief Oper­ating Officer, Dustin Pletan said, “We gen­erally send out two crews for every 3 – 4 inches of snow.”
Last week, with the 8 inches of snow, four crews went out to shovel dri­veways and plow parking lots. This week’s four inches took two crews.
Shov­eling snow is not the only way the club serves the com­munity. A Few Good Men seeks to help members in the com­munity in whatever way pos­sible. Projects range from painting walls, to putting up drywall, to cleaning up yards, to just sitting and spending time with com­munity members.
A Few Good Men is the biggest vol­unteer orga­ni­zation on campus with 75 members divided into nine crews. Each crew makes a weekly com­mitment to one three-hour shift to assist with whatever com­munity members might need for that day.
“The crews have dif­ferent projects that come in from all dif­ferent places in Hillsdale County,” Exec­utive Admin­is­trator sophomore Katie Beemer said. “They pick them up as they are available.”
The club was founded  in 2012 by Ben Holscher ’14 as a group of men in Gal­loway Res­i­dence trying to win a vol­unteer com­pe­tition. Com­munity members hear about A Few Good Men through word of mouth and can call the orga­ni­zation for assis­tance.
Although service is their main goal, A Few Good Men seeks to be a strong presence for rela­tion­ships in the com­munity, Pletan said.
A Few Good Men partners with other out­reach groups in the com­munity, including hospice, senior care centers, Alpha Omega Care Center, and the Humane Society.
“The fact is this county is very eco­nom­i­cally depressed,” Pletan said. “We just try to step in and help out.”
Student vol­un­teers said working through A Few Good Men ben­efits them.
“I think it’s always important to vol­unteer at some capacity,” freshman Josh Pradko said. “A Few Good Men is cool because it is totally, 100 percent student ini­tiated. We are all in charge of our­selves”.
Not only does A Few Good Men reach out to the greater Hillsdale com­munity but the student com­munity, as well. The lead­ership said in order to succeed, the club  works to build peer lead­ership, friendship, and an atmos­phere of service among the stu­dents.
“It’s a workshop in lead­ership that is unri­valed on campus and in the com­munity,” Pletan said. “Stu­dents are given oppor­tu­nities to grow as a person and exercise lead­ership.”
A Few Good Men receives funds for oper­ation through dona­tions and grants from the Hillsdale Com­munity Foun­dation, along with one fundraiser a semester.
“We are trying to be part of the com­munity in such a way that we can even help other people help other people,” Pletan said.

Previous articleMossey goes mad in March
Next articleJunior presents dinosaur research
Josephine von Dohlen
Josephine von Dohlen is a senior from Minneapolis, Minnesota who appreciates the communicative power of journalism and the community that it fosters. A graduate of the National Journalism Center in Washington, D.C., she has previously interned with Catholic News Service and the Santa Barbara News-Press. At Hillsdale, she is a member of the Dow Journalism Program and majors in American Studies. Email: jvondohlen@hillsdale.edu