Thank you, Hazel Hare

Home News Thank you, Hazel Hare

After faithfully serving on the Hillsdale College Board of Trustees for more than three decades, board member Hazel Hare sorrowfully resigned after being diagnosed with an advanced case of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also known as ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease.

College President Larry Arnn emailed the Board of Trustees on Tuesday afternoon shortly after conversing with Hare and said he was immensely saddened by the news.

“We had a tearful conversation. She is surely the sweetest woman alive,” Arnn said in the email. “She says that the college has been the best thing that happened to her since her husband died and has given meaning to her life.”

Hare is currently at her home in Paradise Valley, Arizona, and her niece is helping with her treatment. Hazel said she was shocked by the diagnosis but is grateful for the time she was able to give to Hillsdale.

“This has been an amazing journey in the past 30 years,” Hare said. “The board was able to bring some amazing buildings to campus. From the student center to the music building, there was such a great satisfaction in bringing everyone together.”

Hare joined the board of trustees in the spring of 1985 at the request of Arnn’s predecessor, George Roche. Hare said she was skeptical of joining and asked her mother if she should take the offer.

“I didn’t know anything about dealing with higher education,” Hare said. “I told my mother that I didn’t think I was qualified. She told me, ‘They wouldn’t have asked you unless they thought you could contribute.’ So like a good daughter, I listened, and it has been the most pleasurable aspect of my life.”

For the majorityof her 30 years on the board, she served as chairman of the academic and student affairs subcommittee. According to board member Cleves Delp ’86, Hare’s love for students made her perfect for the role.

“That subcommittee was the perfect assignment for her,” Delp said. “She cared so much for the happiness of the students in every aspect, whether it was the food quality, updated dorms, or promoting student social life. She took great pride in serving the students because she saw them at the center of Hillsdale’s mission.”

Hare frequently worked with Dean of Women Diane Philipp and Provost David Whalen on the subcommittee. Philipp said Hare’s constant efforts to improve campus life led to the construction of the Grewcock Student Union.

“Hare fought for anything regarding the students and bettering their lives,” Philipp said. “She was a big advocate for the Grewcock Student Union. She had identified that need a long time ago and was politely relentless in making sure we had a nice place for the students to enjoy.”

Hare said she subscribes to the Collegian as a way to keep in touch with student culture and enjoys seeing what the students write.

“I read the Collegian cover to cover,” Hare said. “I love what the students have done with it!”

Phillip said Hare’s love for students and the college inspired her role as dean of women.

“She is an incredible role model for me,” Philipp said. “She is strong, persevering, kind, and loving. She truly had an attachment to the college that was so special.”

Chairman of the Board of Trustees William Brodbeck ’66 said Hare was incredibly humble. She frequently gave to the college and often tried to hide it.

“She’s been very generous to Hillsdale over the years,” Brodbeck said. “She did much of her giving anonymously, something that Dr. Arnn often didn’t comply with.”

Brodbeck said the news of Hare’s illness and resignation made him sad, and knows her influential work will never be forgotten.

“She is a highly valued member of the board, and she cast a very wide shadow with her work,” Brodbeck said. “I hate to think of the board without her as a member.”

Delp said he remembers Hare’s overwhelming positivity when talking about major financial decisions and additions to campus.

“She always had a kind word for everyone,” Delp said. “She had an infectious smile and laugh. She was so positive in meetings, she would go out of her way to verbalize the positive aspects of how a decision would impact the students.”

Hazel said while she’ll miss being on campus and being able to make decisions that will help campus grow, she will ultimately miss the friendships of her fellow board members.

“I’m going to miss all the friends I’ve made over the years,” Hare said. “The board was a whole new friendship group. We were all united in one common goal, growing and maintaining the mission of the college.”

Arnn and other members of the board said her positivity and passion will be missed and are praying for her recovery.

“Hazel is a heroic woman,” Delp said. “As dreadful as ALS is, there won’t be anyone more courageous than her: she’s going to fight.”