kappa
Jessie Fox | Col­legian
Kappa Kappa Gamma inducted 18 new members into the sorority for formal recruitment.

Chi Omega, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Pi Beta Phi have all picked up new pledge classes. Pi Phi boasts 20 new members, and Chi Omega and Kappa each have 18. The Hillsdale College chapters wel­comed their new members home on Jan. 17.

“They’re great girls,” said junior Rosie Ellison, pres­ident of Pi Beta Phi. “I was impressed everyday of recruitment with everybody who came through the houses. It’s just so much fun to see how everybody really finds the house that fits them best, and that also means that every house got an awesome group of new members.”

Junior Anna Goodwin, pres­ident of Chi Omega, expressed excitement about Chi Omega newest batch of members, as well.

“I love them,” Goodwin said. “They’re a bunch of really great girls. I loved looking around on bid night and seeing how dif­ferent everyone was. Even on the night when they were all pledging in, wearing their super nice outfits, they were all just so dif­ferent, and that makes me really happy.”

For Hillsdale soror­ities, January recruitment is formal. The rush process lasts three days, and the women receive their bids on the final day.

“The first day is open houses,” said Rebekah Dell, assistant dean of women and pan­hel­lenic adviser. “That’s just a general overview of the chapters and what the chapters are about and what they would say are their defining characteristics.The second day is more of a sit-down dessert envi­ronment that encourages more dis­cussion.”

The final day, according to Goodwin, is the most crucial day in the recruitment process.

“The third day is make or break it,” Goodwin said. “We dim the lights and make it very com­fortable for them to be there, and we have an honest con­ver­sation. We don’t want any of the girls to be fooled by any­thing. We want them to end up in the house they’re meant to be in, to end up in a house that they’re going to enjoy. We want to make sure that they’re making the right decision. We want to be as open and honest and real with them as pos­sible and have them be open and honest and real with us because it’s important. Recruitment is about putting your best foot forward, but it’s not about putting on a fake face.”

While January recruitment is the primary time for pick-up, it’s not the only oppor­tunity for women to receive a bid, though stu­dents are more likely to receive one in the spring.

“If you really want to go through, January is the time to do it,” Dell said. “Don’t count on a fall oppor­tunity, but fall oppor­tu­nities will exist.”

In the fall, the smallest two chapters have the oppor­tunity to extend invi­ta­tions to mem­bership to eli­gible women.

“Every fall we will look at our new mem­bership numbers, and the smallest two chapters will be able to invite women to join their chapter until they reach the number of members that the largest chapter has,” Dell said. “We will still have oppor­tu­nities to join every fall, but the numbers will probably be less.”

Greek life has impacted the lives of many women on campus. Both Ellison and Goodwin cite their times in their respective houses as oppor­tu­nities for growth and learning.

“Pi Phi has helped me grow a lot,” Ellison said. “College, for everybody, is a time of tremendous growth and change. It has been for me, and Pi Phi has been the best place for me to do that because I have my sisters, and they’ve loved me through stuff, and they’ve helped me through stuff and sup­ported me.”

Goodwin said her sorority taught her the impor­tance of sis­terhood.

“Coming into college, you really think you’re invin­cible,” Goodwin said. “Being a part of a sorority helped me realize how much I need people, and sis­terhood has taught me how important com­munity is and how to love others.”